[MARMAM] New publication on Cook Inlet beluga

Manuel Castellote - NOAA Affiliate manuel.castellote at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 13 07:43:09 PST 2020

Dear MARMAM recipients,
We are happy to announce our new publication:

Castellote, Small, Lammers, Jenniges, Mondragon, Garner, Atkinson, Delevaux, Graham, Westerholt. 2020. Seasonal distribution and foraging occurrence of Cook Inlet beluga whales based on passive acoustic monitoring. Endangered Species Research 41: 225–243.

ABSTRACT: A paucity of information on the basic biology and ecology of Cook Inlet beluga whales Delphinapterus leucas remains a decade after the species was listed as endangered in 2008. The causes of its continued decline remain unclear. This lack of knowledge limits our understanding of, and ability to manage, potential threats impeding the recovery of this endangered population. Seasonal distribution and foraging ecology, particularly during winter, are currently among the most basic gaps in knowledge. Therefore, we conducted a year-round passive acoustic monitoring program from 2008−2013, monitoring 13 locations within the belugas’ critical habitat. We identified seasonal occurrence patterns across years at most locations. Detections were higher in the upper inlet during summer, peaking in known concentration areas. The occurrence of whales in the upper inlet when ice coverage peaked during winter was more prevalent than previously suggested. We documented seasonal differences in foraging habitat preference, with foraging behavior more prevalent during summer, particularly near upper inlet rivers, than during winter. Foraging peaks coincided with the presence of different anadromous fish runs from spring to fall. Low levels of feeding activity in winter suggest a lack of feeding aggregation areas, feeding in non-monitored offshore waters, or increased effort on benthic prey. These results represent a substantial contribution to our knowledge of Cook Inlet beluga seasonal distribution and foraging ecology, which will strengthen conservation and management strategies and thus more effectively promote recovery of this endangered population.

The article can be downloaded at no cost in the following link:

https://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2020/41/n041p225.pdf

Sincerely,
Manuel Castellote

--
Manuel Castellote, PhD
Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean, University of Washington