[MARMAM] DNA preservation in Ambergris article

Ruairidh Macleod ram88 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 11:32:48 PST 2020

Dear all,

Just in case it happens to be of interest, attached is an article
<https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2019.0819> that has
just been published on our preliminary results from sequencing DNA
preserved in jetsam ambergris.

If any of you have seen the accompanying New York Times article, I would
reassure you that we are definitely well aware that most evidence already
pointed to it having a sperm whale origin! This paper simply presents
absolute confirmation in that respect (or that at least our few samples
were).

All best,
Ruairidh