[MARMAM] New publication in MER: Wait your turn, North Atlantic fin whales share a common feeding ground sequentially

Pauline Gauffier paulinegauffier at hotmail.fr
Tue Feb 4 02:40:54 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

On behalf on my co-authors, I am pleased to inform you that we have published a new article in Marine Environmental Research:

Wait your turn, North Atlantic fin whales share a common feeding ground sequentially

Pauline Gauffier, Asunción Borrell, Mónica A. Silva, Gísli A. Víkingsson, Alfredo López, Joan Giménez, Ana Colaço, Sverrir Daníel Halldórsson, Morgana Vighi, Rui Prieto, Renaud de Stephanis, Alex Aguilar

Abstract:

Highly migratory marine species pose a challenge for the identification of management units due to the absence of clear oceanographic barriers. The population structure of North Atlantic fin whales has been investigated since the start of whaling operations but is still the subject of an ongoing scientific debate. Here we measured stable isotopes of carbon, nitrogen and oxygen in skin samples collected from 151 individuals from western Iceland, Galicia (NW Spain), the Azores archipelago and the Strait of Gibraltar (SoG). We found spatiotemporal differences in stable isotope ratios suggesting that fin whales sampled in these four areas may share a common feeding ground within the Northeast Atlantic at different times during the year. Our results also suggest that SoG whales use this common feeding ground in summer but exploit Mediterranean resources during the winter months, further supporting the existence of a limited but current exchange of individuals between these two basins.

Marine Environmental Research, 2020, 155:104884, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2020.104884

Here is a link with free access to the publication before March 25, 2020: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aWKUW5UJ9jVi

Alternatively, do not hesitate to contact me if you cannot access the link or need a pdf copy after this date.

All the best,
Pauline