[MARMAM] New publication - Crassicauda sp. in an Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis)

Mauroo, Nathalie France nmauroo at connect.hku.hk
Wed Dec 30 21:32:41 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

Myself and my co-authors are pleased to announce a new publication arising
from our research on stranded Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins in Hong Kong.

Mauroo, NF., Beh, PSL., Harris, E., Chan, SY., Gibson, DI. (2020)
Crassicauda sp. in an Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis).
Veterinary Record Case Reports 8: e000865. doi: 10.1136/vetreccr-2019-000865

Abstract
A female Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis) stranded in Hong
Kong waters presented on postmortem examination with a single nematode with
a diameter of 0.1 cm in the mammary gland, as well as mild multifocal
chronic mastitis on histological examination. The parasitic material was
recognised as a species of Crassicauda. To our knowledge, this is the first
record of a species of Crassicauda occurring in an Indo-Pacific humpback
dolphin and also represents a new geographical record for this genus in the
South China Sea.

Wishing you all a Healthy New Year 2021!

Best wishes,
Nathalie

Dr Nathalie Mauroo, DVM, PhD, CertZooMed,MRCVS
nmauroo at hkwhf.org.hk

Hong Kong Wildlife Health Foundation
www.hkwhf.org.hk