[MARMAM] Online distance sampling design,and simulation course

Len Thomas len.thomas at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Dec 19 07:00:39 PST 2020

Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys
15th March 15:10 - 17:00 GMT 16th / 17th March 15:30 - 17:00 GMT

Distance sampling surveys are a common way to estimate marine mammal
density and abundance. Visual line transect surveys of marine mammals
are commonly conducted from aerial or shipboard platforms, while passive
acoustic density estimation, using marine mammal vocalizations, is often
based on point transect methods.  This online workshop will cover how to
generate optimal distance sampling survey designs within budgetary and
logistical constraints.  We will build on the design theory provided in
our introductory workshops and look at how to optimise our design in
real world settings. We will be considering how to get the most accurate
/ precise results for our budget, while testing how robust our design is
to departures from our design assumptions. We will be using our R
package 'dssd' to generate surveys and then optimise them using our new
simulation package 'dsims' (release date: 31st January 2021). Some of
our examples will be drawn from real-world marine mammal surveys.

Discussions on the third day of the workshop will be tailored to
participants own survey design challenges - sign up early and let us
know about the survey you are planning!

More detailed course information can be found at:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/design-march-2021

Feel free to contact the principal instructor Laura Marshall
(lhm at st-andrews.ac.uk) for more information.

For information about other distance sampling workshops we are running, see
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/

--
Len Thomas  len.thomas at st-andrews.ac.uk  lenthomas.org  @len_thom
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

The University of St Andrews is a charity
registered in Scotland, No SC013532.