[MARMAM] Position Announcement in Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska

Cate, Jenipher R jenipher_cate at fws.gov
Thu Dec 17 15:39:37 PST 2020

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Marine Mammals Management office in Alaska is advertising to fill 2 positions in our office.  Our office has trust responsibility of polar bears, Pacific walruses, and northern sea otters in Alaska.  Our work primarily consists of implementing mandates under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Endangered Species Act, research and monitoring of these species to inform our management actions, implementing bilateral and international agreements, and working with Alaska Natives for co-management of subsistence use.  The positions being advertised here are for a wildlife biologist in either the polar bear or sea otter/walrus programs.

We are looking for highly motivated and committed individuals to function as part of an existing interdisciplinary team to monitor, manage, and research sea otters/polar bears pursuant to existing legal, regulatory, and conservation frameworks. Additional responsibilities include the developing and implementing community-based conservation and co-management efforts with Alaska Natives and the ability to collaborate with state, federal, regional, and international partners in managing, mitigating, and/or researching human-marine mammal conflicts.

More information about our programs can be found on our website (https://www.fws.gov/alaska/pages/marine-mammals).  The job announcements can be found here (https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587521000 or here https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587521600)  or by searching for the following job announcement numbers on the USAJobs website (R7-21-10989454-21-KL-DE  and  R7-21-10989453-21-KL-MP).  Questions about the positions can be sent to either the Sea Otter and Walrus Program Lead, Dr. Jenipher Cate at jenipher_cate at fws.gov<mailto:jenipher_cate at fws.gov>, or the Polar Bear Program Lead, Dr. Dave Gustine at david_gustine at fws.gov<mailto:david_gustine at fws.gov>.

Happy Holidays,
Jenipher Cate, PhD
Marine Mammals Management - Walrus and Sea Otter
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska
Phone: 907-205-8322