[MARMAM] Online course: Spatially explicit models for distance sampling data

David Lawrence Miller dlm22 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 03:28:03 PST 2020

Spatially explicit models for distance sampling data: density surface
modelling in practice

8-12th March 2021 1600-1800 GMT//1100-1300 EST//0800-1000 PST

This online course will cover how to fit spatial models to distance
sampling data ("density surface modelling") in R. This will include:

- Brief overview of distance sampling
- Generalized additive models
- Fitting, checking and selecting density surface models
- Predicting abundance
- Making maps

Examples will be based around a line transect survey of sperm whales in
the western Atlantic.

Format:

The course will consist of 5 live sessions delivered over
videoconference. Between these sessions there will be practical R
exercises to complete and to assist with these practicals. Each
videoconference session will include time for lecturing and discussion
of practical exercises.

Enrolment is limited to 15.

Prerequisites:

You should already know about distance sampling, for example by having
taken an introductory workshop in person or online (either interactively
or via our free pre-recorded lectures). You should also have experience
using R.

Prior to the course we will running a software test meeting to ensure
everyone can participate satisfactorily.

Cost: £250

Registration deadline: 15 January 2021

More information, with links to registration:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/dsm-march-2021

Feel free to contact dlm22 at st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.