[MARMAM] New publication: Vulnerability of a top marine predator to coastal storms: a relationship between hydrodynamic drivers and stranding rates of newborn pinnipeds

Maritza Sepulveda maritza.sepulveda at uv.cl
Sat Aug 22 16:36:07 PDT 2020

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new open-access publication
“*Vulnerability of a top marine predator to coastal storms: a relationship
between hydrodynamic drivers and stranding rates of newborn pinnipeds*”,
published in Scientific Reports.

The paper  can be accessed here:

https://rdcu.be/b5Ys6

Abstract:

Coastal storms have increased in recent decades, affecting many species,
including the South American sea lion (Otaria byronia). Reports of stranded
sea lion pups are becoming common in Chile, presumably due to the increase
in the frequency and intensity of coastal storms. To validate this
assumption, a 10-year database was built by coupling wave generation and
coastal propagation models to correlate pure wave parameters (significant
wave height Hs, peak period Tp, normalized wave power Hs2Tp) and wave
parameters including the tidal level (maximum surface elevation η, modified
wave power η2 Tp) with records of stranded pups in Cobquecura, the largest
breeding colony in central Chile. The correlation between the number of
pups stranded per day and wave parameters in the first half of January and
the last half of February is poor, while they are stronger for the second
half of January and the first half of February. The higher number of
stranded pups coincide with coastal storms with normalized wave power
values exceeding a threshold of 100 m2/s. Conversely, below this threshold
there is wide dispersion between the number of strandings and wave
parameters. Identifying wave parameter thresholds could be used to predict
when newborn pups will be most affected by coastal storms, and thus help
institutions to develop remediation techniques for animals at risk.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Maritza

--

*Dra.**Maritza Sepúlveda*

Profesor Titular

Laboratorio de Ecología de Mamíferos Marinos (LECMMAR)

Instituto de Biología

Facultad de Ciencias

Universidad de Valparaíso

Gran Bretaña 1111, Playa Ancha