[MARMAM] New publication: Occurrence, residency patterns and habitat use of the bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus truncatus, on two Marine Protected Areas in Southeastern Brazil

Rodrigo Tardin rhtardin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 08:33:13 PDT 2020

Dear all,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am please to inform the following
publication:  Occurrence, residency patterns and habitat use of the
bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus truncatus, on two Marine Protected
Areas in Southeastern Brazil published in Anais da Academia Brasileira de
Ciências (
https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0001-37652020000300726&tlng=en
).

This article is open access, but if anyone has problems in getting it
online or have questions about it, just email me: rhtardin at gmail.com

 Occurrence, residency patterns and habitat use of the bottlenose dolphin,
Tursiops truncatus truncatus, on two Marine Protected Areas in Southeastern
Brazil
RODRIGO H. TARDIN, ISRAEL S. MACIEL, GUILHERME MARICATO, SHEILA M. SIMÃO,
TATIANA F. MARIA & MARIA ALICE S. ALVES

Abstract: The common bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus, is widely
distributed. However, information about its ecology and behavior in
Brazilian waters is scarce especially about the ‘offshore’ ecotype, an
Evolutionarily Significant Unit in the Southwest Atlantic. We report for
the first time the occurrence, behavior and habitat use of bottlenose
dolphins Tursiops truncatus truncatus, in two Marine Protected Areas (MPA)
in Cabo Frio coast, Brazil. There were fifteen sightings of different
groups throughout the year. An overall of 429 individuals were
photo-identified. 90.7% dolphins did not present a degree of residence,
1.4% dolphins were considered with high residency to the area, 5.8% medium
and 2.1% low. Our habitat use map indicated dolphins were more common off
~10km from Cabo Frio municipality and between depths around 20-70m.
Bottlenose dolphins on Cabo Frio coast were more frequently observed
performing travelling, followed by foraging and socio-sexual behavior.
Group sizes varied from three to 120 individuals. Larger groups were
observed when travelling and foraging. Despite the existence of two local
Marine Protected Areas, the fast human development in Cabo Frio may
threaten this important area for bottlenose dolphins in terms of food
resources and shelter from predators.

Best,
Rodrigo

Dr. Rodrigo Tardin

Pós-doutorando - Departamento de Ecologia - IB - UFRJ
Coordenador do Grupo de Bioacústica e Ecologia de Cetáceos
D.Sc. em Ecologia e Evolução - IBRAG - UERJ
-----
Post-doctoral fellow - Ecology department - IB - UFRJ (RJ, Brazil)
D.Sc. in Ecology and Evolution - UERJ
Coordinator at Cetacean Bioacoustics and Ecology group

http://lattes.cnpq.br/3231576901208672
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0807-6937
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/J-6566-2013
https://lablbec.wixsite.com/lbec