[MARMAM] New paper: Fraser's dolphin population genetic structure

Ing Chen 陳瑩 ingchen at ntnu.edu.tw
Wed Aug 12 06:58:46 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

On behave of my colleagues, I am delighted to announce our latest paper
about Fraser's dolphin population genetics has been published in MPES a
couple of months ago:

Chen, I., Nishida, S., Chou, L.-S., Isobe, T., Mignucci-Giannoni, A. A., &
Hoelzel, A. R. (2020). Population genetic diversity and historical dynamics
of Fraser’s dolphins *Lagenodelphis hosei*. Marine Ecology Progress Series,
*643*, 183-195.

*Abstract*
Marine organisms face relatively few barriers to gene flow, and yet even
highly mobile species such as dolphins often show population structure over
regional geographic scales. Understanding the processes that promote this
pattern of differentiation helps us understand the evolutionary radiation
of this group, and to promote more effective measures for conservation.
Here we report the first population genetic study of Fraser’s dolphin
*Lagenodelphis
hosei* (Fraser, 1956), a species that was not recognized by the scientific
communities until the early 1970s. We use 18 microsatellite DNA loci and 1
mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) locus to compare 112 Fraser’s dolphins collected
in various locations, mainly from the waters off Japan, Taiwan, and the
Philippines, but also including samples from the Gulf of Mexico and
Caribbean Sea. Our results indicate differentiation between populations in
waters off Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines, and support the findings
from earlier morphological assessments for differentiation between Japanese
and Philippine waters. Small sample sets also show likely differentiation
between other regions in the North Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans.
Moreover, neutrality tests and mismatch analysis based on mtDNA data
indicate that the populations in the western North Pacific Ocean have
expanded demographically and spatially, possibly since the latest global
deglaciation, when sea levels and global temperatures started to rise.

Full-text access is available for Inter-Research subscribers (
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v643/p183-195/). Otherwise, please
feel free to contact Rus (a.r.hoelzel /at/ dur.ac.uk) or myself (ingchen
/at/ ntnu.edu.tw) for a private pdf copy.

Regards,

Ing Chen

--
Ing Chen (陳瑩), PhD