[MARMAM] Acoustic recordings of rough-toothed dolphin (Steno bredanensis) offshore Eastern Sicily (Mediterranean Sea)

Francesco Caruso francesco at idsse.ac.cn
Thu Sep 26 02:20:34 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM readers,

we are pleased to announce the publication of our Letter in JASA Express Letters:

F. Caruso, V. Sciacca, I. Parisi, S. Viola, G. de Vincenzi, A. Bocconcelli, T. A. Mooney, L. Sayigh, S. Li, F. Filiciotto, A. Moulins, P. Tepsich, and M. Rosso. Acoustic recordings of rough-toothed dolphin (Steno bredanensis) offshore Eastern Sicily (Mediterranean Sea). The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 146, EL286 (2019).

ABSTRACT: Rough-toothed dolphin’s abundance and distribution is largely unknown worldwide and evaluation of its conservation status in the Mediterranean Sea is necessary. A rough-toothed dolphin was sighted offshore Eastern Sicily (Mediterranean Sea) in July 2017 and acoustic data were acquired in the same area of Watkins, Tyack, Moore, and Notarbartolo di Sciara [(1987). Mar. Mamm. Sci. 3, 78–82]. An automatic detection algorithm was developed to identify the echolocation clicks recorded within both datasets and a recurrent inter-click interval value was identified during the new encounter. Distinctive whistle classes were also identified with similar contour shapes within both datasets.

The Letter is available at: https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5126118.

Best,

Francesco

--

Francesco Caruso, Ph.D. - Postdoctoral Researcher

Marine Mammal and Marine Bioacoustics Laboratory

Institute of Deep-sea Science and Engineering

Chinese Academy of Sciences

28 Luhuitou Road, Sanya, 572000, China