[MARMAM] New publication on marine mammal-fisheries biological competition

Dunja Jusufovski djusufovski at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 10:32:36 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and myself are pleased to announce our recent publication of
a literature review entitled "Competition between marine mammals and
fisheries in contemporary harvested marine ecosystems".
The abstract is available below.

The paper can be accessed from the Marine Ecology Progress Series via this
link (Subscriber access only):
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v627/p207-232

For any further enquiries regarding the article or research, please send
me an email to djusufovski at gmail.com.

Best regards,
--
Dunja Jusufovski, PhD student
Organismal and Evolutionary Biology Research Programme
dunja.jusufovski at helsinki.fi

ABSTRACT: Competitive interactions between marine mammals and fisheries
represent some of the most complex challenges in marine resource management
worldwide. The development of commercial fisheries and recovering marine
mammal populations have contributed to a decrease in fish availability.
Whilst ecosystem-based fisheries management (EBFM) can counteract this
decrease, achieving the EBFM objectives faces certain major obstacles
including insufficient or unreliable data, inapplicable assessment models,
as well as inadequate management decisions that do not account for
fisheries-induced morphological alterations (FIMA) and marine mammal
management. Despite a body of evidence addressing various aspects of marine
mammal−fisheries competition, little is known about the effects of marine
mammal−fisheries biological interactions affecting the fish viability and
food web stability. We review the research on marine mammal−fisheries
competitive biological interactions (hereafter biological competition) by
focussing on (1) the prerequisites for marine mammal−fisheries biological
competition and the relevant methodologies to explore them and (2) recent
studies revealing the implications of FIMA and trophic interactions for the
biological competition. We also discuss the implications of FIMA,
eco-evolutionary
feedback and prey−predator dynamics for EBFM implementation in contemporary
harvested ecosystems. Our main findings reveal a lack of data about marine
mammals’ prey choice and selectivity, the need for better representation of
marine mammals in modelling approaches and lastly, the necessity for
additional research linking FIMA, trophic interactions and the EBFM
objectives. To conclude, interdisciplinary approaches may serve to link all
of the efforts needed to effectively and holistically support the
implementation of EBFM.