[MARMAM] New report: Assessing extrapolation in models of cetacean density/abundance

Phil Bouchet pjbouchet at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 08:03:59 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the release of a new report on extrapolation in density surface models of cetacean populations.

Bouchet PJ, Miller DL, Roberts JJ, Mannocci L, Harris CM and Thomas L (2019). From here and now to there and then: Practical recommendations for extrapolating cetacean density surface models to novel conditions. CREEM Technical Report 2019-01, 59p.

The report summarises current approaches to extrapolation detection and diagnosis, with an emphasis on spatial models of cetacean density/abundance such as those typically resulting from line transect surveys.

This work is an output from the Living Marine Resources (LMR)-funded DenMod project, and is a collaboration between the University of St Andrews, Duke University, and the University of Montpellier.

The report is freely available and can be accessed here: https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/18509.

In addition, relevant R code for extrapolation assessments can be downloaded from our Github site.

https://densitymodelling.github.io/model-extrapolation/

Note that this work will be presented at the upcoming World Marine Mammal Conference in Barcelona (Pre-conference workshop on advancing marine species density surface modelling: Saturday 7th 1:30 PM -5:30 PM; Main conference talk: Mon 9th 3:15 PM - 3:30 PM), and that a dedicated R package is currently being developed to capture the methods described in the report (and more). Future releases/updates will be announced on this list.

Best wishes,

Phil

Dr. Phil Bouchet

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

School of Mathematics and Statistics

Centre for Research into Ecological & Environmental Modelling (CREEM)

The Observatory, Buchanan Gardens

University of St Andrews, St Andrews Fife

KY16 9LZ, Scotland (UK)

pjbouchet at gmail.com | pb282 at st-andrews.ac.uk

Twitter @pjbouchet  •  Web pjbouchet.github.io • ResearcherID K-5365-2012