[MARMAM] New Participatory Platform for Citizen Scientists: Citizen Science & AI to decipher marine mammal signals

Cetalingua Research research at cetalingua.com
Sat Sep 7 13:26:02 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce our platform launch.

We are Cetalingua Project, a membership-based participatory platform
for citizen scientists.
Our platform combines citizen science and artificial intelligence with
the goal to crack the communication code of marine mammals.

We are building a community of like-minded individuals bound by our
love of oceans and their inhabitants, our curiosity, and our desire to
solve the mysteries of this world. Our platform is designed to
involve, to educate, and to practically train citizen scientists so
they can tackle the more advanced data collection and analysis tasks
that are needed if we are ever going to successfully crack the marine
mammal communication code.
With thousands of people participating in all kinds of water
activities every week (paddle-boarding, canoeing, kayaking, sailing,
fishing, boating, snorkeling, etc.), it becomes possible to collect a
large body of behavioral, environmental, and acoustic data with our
CetaKits and the CetaScript web app. These data sets can be used to
train artificial intelligence models to first identify, classify, and
categorize marine mammal vocalizations, then later, to attempt to
crack the code. Machine learning has been used to decipher Linear B
and could also be used to try and crack other undeciphered languages,
like Linear A, rongorongo, even the Voynich manuscript.

Deciphering complex non-human communication systems is important to
better understand and to preserve marine life. Please check our
platform out!

Natalija Lace, PhD
Founder/Principal Investigator
Cetalingua Project