[MARMAM] New publication

pmende01 paula.mendez_fernandez at univ-lr.fr
Thu Sep 5 07:58:49 PDT 2019

Dear all MARMAM suscribers,

On behalf of my co-author, I am please to announce our new publication:

Paula Méndez-Fernandez, Satie Taniguchi, Marcos C. O. Santos, Irma
Cascão, Sophie Quérouil, Vidal Martín, Marisa Tejedor, Manuel Carrillo,
Caroline Rinaldi, Renato Rinaldi, Dalia C. Barragán-Barrera, Nohelia
Farías-Curtidor, Susana Caballero, Rosalinda C. Montone (2019)
Population structure of the Atlantic spotted dolphin (/Stenella
frontalis/) inferred through ecological markers. Aquat Ecol
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-019-09722-3.

The publication is available from the authors or at the link below for
four weeks:
http://www.springer.com/home?SGWID=0-0-1003-0-0&aqId=3838926&download=1&checkval=a7c2dc6d82019fb3bffcf50cb0cb09d2
<http://links.springernature.com/f/a/3rE4kDTA-m7Xzifk-enGyA~~/AABE5gA~/RgRfTjkMP0QwaHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcHJpbmdlci5jb20vLS8wL0FXengzYWRDRGZ4blZWYnpYQTk5VwNzcGNCCgAAjAVtXe9AsRpSIXBhdWxhLm1lbmRlel9mZXJuYW5kZXpAdW5pdi1sci5mclgEAAAG5w~~>

Abstract:
Population structure studies play an increasingly integral role in
conservation and management of marine mammal species. Genetic markers
are commonly used; however, ecological markers (i.e. chemical compounds)
are a fairly recent and useful tool to investigate ecological management
units. The objective of this study is to investigate the population
structure of the Atlantic spotted dolphin (/Stenella frontalis/) within
its distribution in the Atlantic Ocean using data from stable isotopes
of d13C and d15N and persistent organic pollutants as ecological
markers. Based on previous studies that addressed distribution,
morphometric analyses and molecular and ecological markers, we
hypothesize that there are several ecological management units within
the Atlantic Ocean. Our results confirmed population differentiation
previously detected using genetic markers. Additionally, dolphins from
the south-eastern coast of Brazil do not show complete ecological
segregation from the Caribbean ones, while molecular analyses suggested
genetic differentiation between the two regions. In the
light of these results, we propose that at least two ecological
management units should be considered, east and west of the Atlantic
Ocean; however, the presence of one or two management units along the
Atlantic coast of Central and South America needs further investigation.

Best regards,

Paula Méndez-Fernandez

http://observatoire-pelagis.cnrs.fr