[MARMAM] WMMC Workshop Invitation: Rise of the machines - Application of automated systems for matching dolphin dorsal fins

Reny Tyson Moore rtysonmoore at mote.org
Tue Sep 3 10:42:55 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to attend the "Rise of the machines - Application of
automated systems for matching dolphin dorsal fins: current status and
future directions” workshop to be held at the World Marine Mammal
Conference in Barcelona on Sunday, December 8, 2019.

The focus of the workshop is to bring together photo-ID researchers and
algorithm developers to discuss best practices for using fin recognition
technology, and to assess whether a single ‘standard’ system can be
developed for automated dorsal fin photo-ID. Prior to the workshop,
attendees (and relevant researchers or research groups) will be asked to
participate in a mini-experiment to evaluate a test set of bottlenose
dolphin dorsal fin images so that we can assess the performance of the
current methods and systems used for matching dorsal fin images. Results of
this experiment as well as those obtained from a survey previously
distributed on the methods used to conduct matching of dorsal fin images
for photo-identification studies will be presented during the workshop and
used to help frame workshop discussions. More information regarding this
mini-experiment and our project goals can be found here:
*https://sites.google.com/mote.org/evaluation-of-photo-id-methods
<https://sites.google.com/mote.org/evaluation-of-photo-id-methods>*.

The workshop is scheduled as a *full day workshop on Sunday, December 8
from 0830-1730*. For more information on the workshop and registration
please visit https://www.wmmconference.org/workshops/ and scroll down to
the Sunday full day workshop section.

If you are unable to attend the workshop, but are still interested in
participating in our mini-experiment, please provide your contact
information here:
*https://sites.google.com/mote.org/evaluation-of-photo-id-methods/test-your-system/request-for-test-data
<https://sites.google.com/mote.org/evaluation-of-photo-id-methods/test-your-system/request-for-test-data>*

to gain access to the test data. We will ask that all results be submitted
by *October 4, 2019* to give us time to collate all responses before the
workshop in December.

We hope that you can join us!

The Workshop Organizers,

Reny Tyson Moore (Chicago Zoological Society’s Sarasota Dolphin Research
Program, Sarasota, FL USA)
rtysonmoore at mote.org <rtyson at mote.org>

Kim Urian (Duke University Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, NC USA)
kim.urian at gmail.com