[MARMAM] Monterey Bay Whale Watch Naturalist Position

MBWW Assistant mbwwassistant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:55:56 PDT 2019

Monterey Bay Whale Watch is looking for a part-time (full time in summer)
experienced Marine Biologist/Naturalist/Deckhand! Come join a dedicated
team of Marine Biologists in one of the most diverse and productive whale
watching areas in the world. Help lead tours, educate the public, and
collect data on a variety of different organisms including Humpback Whales,
6 species of dolphins, Blue Whales, and Orcas.

More about our research : On every trip, one of the Marine Biologist's most
important tasks is to collect data on a variety of different organisms that
we see in Monterey Bay. This includes: filling out data sheets, taking
Photo-ID pictures, and observing behaviors of different cetacean species.
We also are working on different Photo-ID catalogs and digitizing our data
that we have been collecting for several decades. Our company has been
doing research on Orcas and Humpback Whales for over 30 years and our
Marine Biologists play a key role in helping collect data on both of these
species, as well as several others. We also collaborate with Cascadia
Research Collective and HappyWhale, as well as other local research
organizations.

Required Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Marine Science or related field (minimum required
education level)
- At least 2 years of Naturalist experience
- Knowledge of the history, cetaceans, and birds of Monterey Bay
- Excellent speaking ability - comfortable interacting with the public both
on a microphone to over 100 people and individually
- Enthusiastic and outgoing personality

Preferred Experience:
- 4 years of Naturalist experience
- Deckhanding experience (able to fill in as deckhand or double duty when
needed)
- Photo-ID/data entry/research experience

We are looking to hire someone ASAP. This position is open to only
applicants currently living in the U.S. and preferably already living on
the west coast. Please send a resume/CV and a word document including :
your cover letter, availability, and potential start date to
mbwwassistant at gmail.com.