[MARMAM] 2020 Marine Mammal Rescue & Rehabilitation Internship Announcement

Heather Henderson heatherh at cawildlife.org
Wed Oct 23 18:52:43 PDT 2019

2020 Marine Mammal Rescue & Rehabilitation Internship Opportunity

California Wildlife Center is accepting applications for the 2020 Marine Mammal Internship program.  California Wildlife Center is located in Malibu, California, and responds to reports of stranded marine mammals 365 days a year.  Our rehabilitation facility is active during the region’s period of highest stranding activity, which is January through July.  Pinnipeds are cared for in-house.  There are three, 2-month sessions:

Session I:    February 1st to the end of March

Session II:   April 1st to the end of May

Session III:  June 1st to the end of July

Time Commitment:

40 hours per week.

Summary/Program Description
The California Wildlife Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation and release of injured, orphaned, sick, malnourished and entangled native wildlife.  CWC fulfills this mission through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, and treatment of avian and terrestrial wildlife in our rehabilitation hospital.   This internship will provide an exciting and challenging educational experience in the marine mammal field.  Working closely with the Marine Mammal program staff, individuals will be exposed to many aspects of stranding response and rehabilitation, including: logistics, assessment, capture/restraint, transportation, husbandry, feeding techniques, data collection, necropsy and public relations.   The marine mammal teams also perform rescues on coastal native marine avian species, providing interns a view into the skills necessary for capture and transport of these species.  To minimize cross contamination potential, all rehabilitative care of non-marine mammal species is handled solely by the hospital staff / volunteers.

To apply, please visit our website: http://cawildlife.org/volunteer/internshipsexternshipspreceptorships/

Heather A. Henderson

Stranding Coordinator

California Wildlife Center

P.O. Box 2022

Malibu CA 90265

310-458-WILD (9453)

www.cawildlife.org<http://www.cawildlife.org/>

[medium CA_Wildlife_Center_Logo_Since_1998_CMYK500px]