[MARMAM] New review on Lunge Feeding in Rorqual Whales

Jean Potvin jean.potvin at slu.edu
Tue Oct 22 13:03:58 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM readers,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our new paper which has just appeared in Physiology:

Lunge Feeding in Rorqual Whales

Abstract:

The largest animals are baleen filter feeders that exploit large aggregations of

small-bodied plankton. Although this feeding mechanism has evolved multiple
times in marine vertebrates, rorqual whales exhibit a distinct lunge filter
feeding mode that requires extreme physiological adaptations—most of
which remain poorly understood. Here, we review the biomechanics of the
lunge feeding mechanism in rorqual whales that underlies their extraordinary
foraging performance and gigantic body size.​

Shadwick, RE, Potvin, J and Goldbogen JA (2019). "Lunge feeding in rorqual whales" Physiology  34: 409 – 418, 2019; doi:10.1152/physiol.00010.2019

Requests for a PDF copy can be sent to: potvinj at slu.edu

Sincerely
Jean Potvin
potvinj at slu.edu