[MARMAM] New publication: Scientific collaboration networks in research on human threats to cetaceans in Brazil

Marcela Marega maregammi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 09:27:48 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of all co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of
our article: 'Scientific collaboration networks in research on human
threats to cetaceans in Brazil' published in Marine Policy.

Abstract: To  better  understand  the  threats  posed  by  human
activities  on  cetaceans,  we  compiled  published  studies  and
determined  where,  how,  and  by  whom  the  research  on  this  subject
has  been  conducted  in  Brazil.  We  also determined  which  cetacean
species  were  mostly  investigated  in  these  studies.  We  gathered
the  available  scientific  literature  published  from  1986  to  2016
that  contained  search  terms  in  English  that  depicted  major
cetacean  threats.  Then,  we  developed  a  collaboration  network  among
the  authors’  institutions  and  generated  a distribution  map  of  the
investigated  threats  and  study  areas.  From  the  1047  compiled
publications,  we  selected 103  studies  that  precisely  addressed
cetacean  threats.  The  selected  studies  were  carried  out  by  82
institutions from  12  countries.  Most  of  these  institutions  were
universities  (n = 55),  followed  by  non-governmental  organizations  (n
¼ 15)  and  research  institutes  (n  = 12).  Among  the  two  cetacean
suborders,  odontocetes  were  the  most representative,  with  Sotalia
guianensis  and  Pontoporia  blainvillei  present  in  50  and  38
publications,  respectively. For  mysticetes,  publications  on  Megaptera
novaeangliae  (n  = 6)  and  Eubalaena  australis  (n  = 5)  were  the
most common.  Among  the  addressed  threats,  more  than  half  (54.4%)
of  the  publications  focused  on  pollution,  followed  by  bycatch
(19.4%)  and  vessel  traffic  (10.7%).  Most  of  the  study  areas  took
place  in  the  states  of  Rio  de Janeiro  (22.4%),  São  Paulo
(19.7%),  and  Rio  Grande  do  Sul  (12.9%).  Six  institutions  were
the  most  prevalent  in the  collaboration  networks,  and  their
location  corresponded  to  hotspots  of  cetacean  diversity.  Our
findings  may contribute  to  identifying  research  priorities  and
guide  the  conservation  of  cetacean  species  in  Brazil.

The paper is available in open access at
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X18305876

Citation: Marega-Imamura, M., Michalski, F., Silva, K., Schiavetti, A., Le
Pendu, Y., Oliveira, L. C. 2020. Scientific collaboration networks in
research on human threats to cetaceans in Brazil. Marine Policy, vol. 112,
103738, DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2019.103738.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me:
mmimamura at uesc.br

Best regards,

*Marcela Marega Imamura*
Ph.D. candidate in Ecology and Biodiversity Conservation
Aquatic Mammals Research Group of Ilhéus
Etnoconservation and Protected Areas Laboratory
Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, Ilhéus, BA, Brazil