[MARMAM] International Veterinary Fellowship

Shawn Johnson johnsons at TMMC.org
Tue Nov 26 13:24:37 PST 2019

 INTERNATIONAL VETERINARY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
AT THE MARINE MAMMAL CENTER (SAUSALITO, CALIFORNIA, USA)

 OUR MISSION
The Marine Mammal Center advances global conservation through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education.

WHAT MOTIVATES OUR WORK
The ocean is in trouble. From the depletion of fish stocks to increasing ocean temperatures, human activity threatens marine ecosystems that are vital to the health of our ocean and all life on earth. As a critical first responder to these threats, The Marine Mammal Center is leading the field in ocean conservation through marine mammal rescue, veterinary medicine, science, and education. Marine mammals are ecosystem indicators, and these animals provide insights into human and ocean health threats. Together, we are taking action today to support a network of scientists and stewards to protect our shared ocean environment for future generations.

To advance our mission, we focus our work in three key program areas:

  1.  Animal Care: With a volunteer force numbering more than 1,200 and the support of a concerned public, the Center is able to respond to marine mammals in distress. Sick and injured animals are treated and rehabilitated at our state-of-the-art veterinary facilities where we care for our patients until they can be released back to their ocean home. Covering a rescue range that spans 600 miles of California coastline and the Big Island of Hawai‘i, the Center responds to more stranded marine mammals than any other organization in the world. Our sought-after experts are deployed locally and internationally to provide technical veterinary expertise and training on best practices ranging from anesthesia to disentanglement.
  2.  Scientific Research: The Center is a major contributor to the global body of research and knowledge about marine mammal medicine and health. Our veterinary experts develop new clinical techniques to improve marine mammal rehabilitation and care, and investigate the reasons why marine mammals strand and how these factors are connected to ecosystem and human health. Our scientists also investigate how marine mammals use and interact with their ocean environment to better understand and protect them from many threats. Learning from every animal we respond to and studying animals in the wild, our researchers identify novel diseases and pathogens, support endangered and threatened species conservation, identify and help mitigate human-caused threats and partner with scientists around the world on collaborative research that utilizes samples and data collected by the Center. Marine mammal health, ocean health and human health are inextricably linked, and our work advances knowledge of all three to benefit us all.
  3.  Education: As a teaching hospital, the Center serves as a vital training ground for veterinary professionals from across the globe, expanding the collective understanding and application of marine veterinary science and conservation. Our innovative school and public education programs build a sense of responsibility through a connection to marine mammals and the marine environment, inspiring future ocean stewards and promoting action to protect the ocean. Each year, these education programs and hands-on trainings reach more than 100,000 children and adults, supporting the next generation of informed scientists and engaged citizens who will care for and ensure the health of our ocean and environment.

ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Marine Mammal Center was founded in 1975 by three local citizens: Lloyd Smalley, Pat Arrigoni and Paul Maxwell. Since then, and thanks to their vision, the Center is now a global leader in marine mammal health, science and conservation and is the largest marine mammal hospital in the world. The Center operates physical locations in Sausalito, Morro Bay and Moss Landing, CA, as well as in Kona, Hawai‘i, and has an annual operating budget of $11.5M. A team of 80 staff and 1,200 actively engaged volunteers make the Center’s impact possible and keep the Center operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

ROLE DESCRIPTION
The Marine Mammal Center International Veterinary Fellowship Program (IVFP) provides marine mammal veterinarians across the globe an opportunity to gain experience in marine mammal medicine and rehabilitation. It is expected that successful applicants will return to their pre-existing programs prepared to implement training programs of their own.

This position requires a DVM degree or equivalent. Preference will be given to veterinarians that are currently employed with a marine mammal rehabilitation program or non-profit equivalent. This is an unpaid position, but a small stipend is provided for food and incidentals. Airfare to San Francisco, California, as well as shared housing at The Marine Mammal Center Guest House located within the Marin Headlands, will be provided as part of the program. The house is shared during the busy season with other students, researchers, externs and the veterinary intern. This position is available during the busy season for up to three months at a time, between March and September. The Center/National Park Service will support a J-1 visa for training period and require the Fellow to have an international driver’s license. Strong written and spoken English is a requirement.

The Marine Mammal Center veterinary staff includes full and part time veterinarians, four veterinary technicians, a medical technologist, pathologist, and research staff. Goals of the program include assisting the veterinary medical staff in providing medical management of a large number of stranded marine mammals (mostly pinnipeds); performing post mortem examinations, sample collection for various research projects, and record keeping. Collaborative research is highly valued at the Center, and development of a research project and scientific publication, either clinical or using retrospective necropsy data, is highly encouraged. Past Fellows have attended international conferences, scientific workshops, or visited other collaborative partners.
Opportunities for additional professional development will be supported as they arise.

If qualified, applicants should submit the following materials through the website:

  1.  A current curriculum vitae, limited to 4 pages. Upload in place of resume.
  2.  Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic and/or clinical performance. Upload letters of reference as “other documents”

Please be prepared to answer the following questions when completing the application:

  1.  Why are you the best candidate for the International Veterinary Fellowship Program?
  2.  Please describe in detail the experience you have as a clinician (any species).
  3.  Please describe in detail your experience working with marine mammals. Describe experience with both live and dead marine mammals, in the wild and/or in captive care.
  4.  Please describe in detail any research experience you have.
  5.  Please describe current marine mammal stranding response in your country.
  6.  How do you hope the IVFP will help you to achieve your future goals? What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?

Applications (https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/187724/Marine-Mammal-Center/International-Veterinary-Fellowship-Program#.Xd2XW1hRjFE.email) are due by Friday, December 13th. A selection will be made in the beginning of January 2020.

For more information on The Marine Mammal Center please visit our website:
www.marinemammalcenter.org<http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/>