[MARMAM] Population Ecologist
JPost at imms.org
Fri Nov 15 12:37:59 PST 2019
The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (IMMS) is located in Gulfport, MS and was established in 1984 for the purposes of studying marine mammals in the northern Gulf of Mexico. IMMS is also the only rehabilitation facility for marine mammals and sea turtles in Mississippi.
The Population Ecologist will be responsible for overseeing the daily aspects of the IMMS common bottlenose dolphin Photo ID program, including boat trips, data analysis and evaluation, and the preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals. Applicant should be legally able to work in the United States and fluent in written and spoken English.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Conduct regular photo-identification surveys of the Mississippi Sound and surrounding areas, examining the population structure and ecology of the Mississippi Sound, Lake Borgne, Bay Boudreau bottlenose dolphin BSE stock
* Develop new lines of inquiry, building upon core research activities at IMMS
* Assist in project oversight and reporting
* Management of Darwin and FinBase databases
* Prepare grant/permit applications and reports as needed
* Assist with marine mammal and sea turtle rescue, rehabilitation, and release as needed
* Assist in the post-release monitoring of sea turtles and marine mammals through use of satellite tags
* Supervise staff/interns in the field and office settings
* Prepare manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals using new and existing data sets
* As needed, assist in lab-based marine mammal and sea turtle necropsies as well as field necropsies of marine mammals.
* PhD in Ecology, Marine Biology, Biology, or related field
* Ability to manage databases, such as FinBase (experience with Access a plus)
* Experience with ArcGIS and R
* Familiarity with the reporting process for marine mammal and sea turtle strandings
* Demonstrable knowledge of population dynamics and statistics
In order to apply please send your CV, cover letter, 1-2 copies of recently published works, and contact information for 3 references to moby at imms.org<mailto:moby at imms.org>. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Start date is flexible, and salary is commensurate with experience.
Research Intern Coordinator
The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies
10801 Dolphin Lane
Gulfport, MS 39503
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM