[MARMAM] New publication: Toxoplasmosis and Sarcocystis spp. infection in wild pinnipeds of the Brazilian coast

Laura Reisfeld laurinhaz at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:07:30 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of all co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our article about Toxoplasmosis and Sarcocystis spp. infection in wild pinnipeds of the Brazilian coast.

Reisfeld L, Sacristán C, Ferreira Machado E, Sánchez-Sarmiento AM and others (2019) Toxoplasmosis and Sarcocystis spp. infection in wild pinnipeds of the Brazilian coast. Dis Aquat Org 136:235-241. https://doi.org/10.3354/dao03410

In this study the presence of T. gondii and Sarcocystis spp. was surveyed in 51 stranded pinnipeds from Brazil.  Immunohistochemical and molecular assays were employed in those cases compatible with Sarcocystidae infection. T. gondii cysts were detected in the central nervous system and heart of a South American fur seal (Arctocephalus australis), associated with meningoencephalitis, myocarditis and endocarditis, and subsequently confirmed by immunohistochemistry.  Four additional specimens - two Subantarctic fur seals (A. tropicalis), one Antarctic fur seal (A. gazella) and another South American fur seal - presented intrasarcoplasmic cysts compatible with Sarcocystis spp. (all negative to Sarcocystis neurona immunohistochemistry) in muscle samples, without associated inflammatory response. The B1 gene was amplified in the five pinnipeds infected by Sarcocystidae protozoans. To our knowledge, this is the first report of toxoplasmosis in wild South American pinnipeds and of Sarcocystis spp. in South American and Subantarctic fur seals.

You can discover more in the links:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31724556  and https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v136/n3/p235-241/

For further questions please e-mail at lauravet at aquariodesaopaulo.com.br<mailto:lauravet at aquariodesaopaulo.com.br>

Best regards

Laura Reisfeld

DVM, MSc,

Aquario de Sao Paulo
Laboratory of  Wildlife Comparative Pathology - LAPCOM

School of  Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences - FMVZ
University of São Paulo (Brazil)