[MARMAM] New Publication: Feeding of humpback whales in Nicaragua

Joëlle De Weerdt joelle.de.weerdt at gmail.com
Tue May 28 00:54:01 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-author Eric Angel Ramos and myself, I am pleased to
announce the publication of our note in Marine Mammal Science on feeding of
humpback whales in Nicaragua:

De Weerdt J. And Ramos E. A. 2019. Feeding of humpback whales (Megaptera
novaeangliae) on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua

*Abstract*
We report evidence of feeding by humpback whales in the Central American
subpopulation of this species along the Pacific coast of Nicaragua during
their winter breeding seasons in 2017 and 2018. Boat-based surveys were
conducted to collect data on whales as part of ongoing studies at two field
sites: Northern and Southern Nicaragua. We documented 18 events with either
direct or indirect evidence of whale feeding activity, exclusively in
Southern Nicaragua. Lunge feeding was observed on 6 occasions and in 12
sightings there was indirect evidence of feeding including the erratic
surface movements, the presence of feces, and close associations with
feeding aggregations of seabirds and dolphins. Photo-identification
analysis revealed that at least one whale was documented feeding in both
years, indicating some whales may regularly feed in this location to
account for the energetic demands of migration. These findings provide
important insights into the importance of Nicaragua for migrating humpback
whales.

The paper can be found here:
http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/mms.126
<http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/mms.12601>13