[MARMAM] New article on associations between organohalogen exposure and thyroid- and steroid-related gene responses in two whale populations

Antoine Simond antoine.simond at gmail.com
Sat May 25 06:38:19 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
new toxicogenomic research: *Associations between organohalogen exposure
and thyroid- and steroid-related gene responses in St. Lawrence Estuary
belugas and minke whales*

Simond, A. E., Houde, M., Lesage, V., Michaud, R., Zbinden, D. and
Verreault, J.

Download the paper for free before July 13, 2019 here:
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Z6MD,ashtxl9

*ABSTRACT*
Elevated concentrations of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and
emerging halogenated flame retardants (HFRs) have been reported in tissues
of the endangered St. Lawrence Estuary (Canada) beluga population as well
as in minke whales visiting that same feeding area. This study examined the
linkages between blubber concentrations of POPs and emerging HFRs, and
transcription in skin of genes involved in the regulation of thyroid and
steroid axes in belugas and minke whales from the St. Lawrence Estuary. In
belugas, concentrations of PCBs, OCs and hexabromobenzene (HBB) were
positively correlated with the transcription of thyroid- and/or
steroid-related genes, while Dec-604 CB concentrations were negatively
associated with the transcription of glucocorticoid and thyroid genes. In
minke whales, PBDE concentrations changed positively with Esrβ transcript
levels and HBB concentrations negatively with Nr3c1 transcripts. Present
results suggest that several biological functions including reproduction
and energetic metabolism may represent potential targets for organohalogens
in these whales.

*HIGHLIGHTS*

   - Linkages between contaminants and endocrine-related genes were studied
   in whales.
   - PCBs, p,p’-DDE, and PBDEs were the most abundant contaminants in
   blubber of belugas.
   - Most organochlorine compounds correlated positively with Dio2 and Esrα
   in belugas.
   - HBB and Dec-604 CB correlated with thyroid- and steroid-related genes
   in belugas.
   - This study suggests that endocrine control may be impacted in highly
   exposed whales.

This study has been conducted in collaboration with Université du Québec à
Montréal, Environment and Climate Change Canada, Fisheries and Oceans
Canada, the GREMM <http://www.gremm.org/> and the Meriscope
<http://www.meriscope.com/>.

*ANTOINE SIMOND*
*Étudiant en doctorat | PhD Student*
Département des sciences biologiques | Biological Sciences Department
Université du Québec à Montréal | University of Quebec at Montreal
C.P. 8888, Succursale Centre-Ville | P.O. Box 8888, Downtown branch
Montréal (Québec), Canada, H3C 3P8 | Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3C 3P8
Bureau SB-3650 | Office SB-3650
Courriel | E-mail: simond.antoine at courrier.uqam.ca

«  *We feel fundamentally disconnected from nature and therefore not
responsible for the ecological consequences of our actions. Once we learn
that our very being, essence, health and happiness depend on Mother Earth,
we have no choice but to radically shift the way we treat her.* » - David
Suzuki.