[MARMAM] New Review Paper: Sounds Produced by Bottlenose Dolphins

Brittany Jones brittany.jones at nmmpfoundation.org
Tue May 21 10:06:55 PDT 2019

My colleagues and I are excited to announce our new review paper published
in Bioacoustics entitled:

*Sounds produced by bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops): a review of the
defining characteristics and acoustic criteria of the dolphin vocal
repertoire.*

We hope this may serve as a useful tool to both seasoned and new
researchers in marine mammal acoustics. We provide a review of previously
reported sound types produced by *Tursiops* and wherever possible include
spectrogram and waveform representations along with supplemental .wav
files.

Please use the link below to access a copy or contact
brittany.jones at nmmf.org.

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/et2PR3IuEku9meDQR3Du/full?target=10.1080/09524622.2019.1613265

*Abstract:*

Bottlenose dolphins make many different sounds that have been recorded and
described by researchers for over 60 years. This species, Tursiops truncatus,
is arguably the most studied marine mammal. They have the ability to hear
and produce sounds over a range of at least 150 kilohertz (kHz). Although
the human hear- ing is limited in bandwidth to less than 20 kHz, dolphin
sounds have historically been described as humans perceive them (e.g.
whistles, squeals, buzzes, barks, quacks, pops, etc.). Often the same names
have been used for different sounds and different names have been used for
sounds that are apparently the same. In this review, we try and summarize
the dolphin sound literature and provide standardized spectrograms where
possible. Our goal is to provide a foundation for future research to build
upon by providing a tool for identifying whether a sound has been described
before. Novel sound types can then be recognized. Also, we encourage future
studies that show when dolphins perceive two sound types as different.
Detailed reports linking sound and behaviour are also essential. Only then
can we have a complete idea of the dolphin repertoire and begin to
understand how they use sound for communication.

To cite this article: Brittany Jones, Maria Zapetis, Mystera M. Samuelson &
Sam Ridgway (2019): Sounds produced by bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops): a
review of the defining characteristics and acoustic criteria of the dolphin
vocal repertoire, Bioacoustics, DOI: 10.1080/09524622.2019.1613265

All the best,
Brittany
--
Brittany Jones PhD