[MARMAM] fall internship with California sea lions

Stefani Skrovan sskrovan at mlml.calstate.edu
Fri May 17 11:40:17 PDT 2019

*JOB OFFER **: Internship*

URGENT – 27th of September to end of October, 2019 (some flexibility
available)
internship (volunteer)

Employer and immediate supervisor: SLEWTHS/ATR Intl, Dr. Jenifer Zeligs
For more information please visit our website: www.animaltraining.us

SLEWTHS is a not for profit group affiliated with the California State
University system. We care for 5 rescued and un-releasable California sea
lions. One way we fund-raise for our colony is by participating in 2-3
public outreach programs that teach conversation messages to the public
using our sea lions as ocean ambassadors.

We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our staff for the 2019
Arizona State Fair public outreach program in Arizona, USA.

*Internship type*
Full-time.

*Location*
SLEWTHS

8272 Moss Landing Rd

Moss Landing, California 95039

*Internship dates*
- 27 September until 31 October 2019 (1 person needed) (some flexibility
available)

* Internship description*
Interns will help with daily tasks which include but are not limited to:

-       Diet preparation for the sea lions

-       Clean and prepare facility for public demonstrations

-       Support staff in the facilitation of sea lion/ general public
interactions

o   Sell tickets and merchandise

o   Take, print and distribute photos

o   Interface with the public

o   Assist trainers

*Internship requirements and conditions*
- Be 18 years old or older
- Education (in order of priority) : College, high school
- Be at ease when interacting with the public
- Customer service experience preferred
- SLEWTHS is a non-profit organization operating on a small budget, which
means. interns must cover their own travel costs to Moss Landing,
California or Phoenix, Arizona
*- Accommodation: full room/board in shared, dorm style housing is
provided* *in
Phoenix, Arizona*

*-Small stipend of $50/week*

- Interns must be flexible and capable of working as part of a team in
sometimes difficult conditions (7 days per week; long days in potentially
hot weather)

* Learning outcomes:*
Interns will gain experience and knowledge about an entire transportable,
elite and federally regulated marine mammal facility. Learn how to care for
California sea lions.

Gain extensive knowledge about the California sea lion, environmental
education and conservation.

Gain confidence and experience when interacting with the public.

*How to apply*: Please send your CV (resume) to slewths at mlml.calstate.edu,
by July 26 at the latest. Should you have any further questions, feel free
to contact us at the same address.

Looking forward to your applications!

The SLEWTHS Team

--