[MARMAM] New publication: Metals concentration and bioaccumulation in the marine-coastal trophic web from Buenos Aires province southern coast, Argentina (Florencia Vilches)

Florencia Vilches vilches.fl at gmail.com
Mon May 13 13:05:33 PDT 2019

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent publication in
Chemistry and Ecology entitled Metals concentration and bioaccumulation in
the marine-coastal trophic web from Buenos Aires province southern coast,
Argentina.

Vilches, F.O., Bobinac, M.A., Labudía, A.C., Paso Viola, M.N.,
Marcovecchio, J.E., Cappozzo, H.L. & Panebianco, M.V. 2019. Metals
concentration and bioaccumulation in the marine-coastal trophic web from
Buenos Aires province southern coast, Argentina, Chemistry and Ecology,
35:6, 501-523, DOI: 10.1080/02757540.2019.1604693

Metals accumulated in the tissues of organisms inhabiting marine ecosystems
generally reflect their bioavailable levels within that environment. The
aim of this work was to study the presence and concentration of metals (Cd,
Cr, Cu, Fe, Ni, Pb and Zn) and its bioaccumulation in liver-ink sac and
muscle tissues of loliginid squids, Loligo sanpaulensis, in liver and
muscle tissues of white croakers, Micropogonias furnieri, and in muscle
tissues of franciscana dolphins, Pontoporia blainvillei, as representatives
of different trophic levels of an estuarial ecosystem from the southern
coast of Buenos Aires. Except for Pb, all metals were detectable in the
hepatic tissues. Bioaccumulation was observed for Fe, Cr and Ni in muscle
of squids. Zn levels in muscle samples increased with the trophic level of
the species analysed. Necochea-Quequén presents relatively high levels of
Ni and Cr in the tissue samples of squids and fishes given other locations
of southern hemisphere, indicating a possible anthropic enrichment. These
outcomes provide the necessary basis for the environmental monitoring of an
area with relevance for fishing and high anthropic activity.

The paper can be accessed here:
https://doi.org/10.1080/02757540.2019.1604693

Kind regards,

Florencia Vilches