[MARMAM] Volunteer Position - Research and Outreach Assistant

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch info at mwdw.net
Sun Mar 24 05:36:02 PDT 2019

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch is a charity based on the Isle of Man
dedicated to the conservation of cetaceans in Manx waters through research
and education. We are recruiting four full-time volunteer Research and
Outreach Assistants for the 2019 season. The placement runs from 20th May
to 6th September and you need to be available for the entire duration. You
will be joining our small but active team and become involved in all areas
of our research and outreach work, alongside running our Visitor's Centre.

The majority of your time here will be split between five activities:
land-based surveys, boat-based surveys, manning the visitor's centre,
office tasks, and public outreach. You will be working alongside MWDW's
three operational staff and local volunteers on a rota of indoor and
outdoor tasks.

Land-based surveys are a fantastic way of observing cetaceans and basking
sharks behaving naturally in their environment, without causing them any
disturbance. These surveys take place regularly, when the weather is calm,
sometimes occurring from first to last light for several consecutive days.

Boat based surveys are often a summer highlight and will take place as
weather and other factors permit, and allow us to collect
photo-identification images and offshore data. You will get opportunities
to go out with local tourist boat operators, going aboard to guide
passengers and collect data and photographs. Volunteers must be aware that
these trips are extremely weather dependent and can be very infrequent, we
will not guarantee you a certain number of trips during your stay.

The principal office activities you will participate in are data entry and
photo-identification analysis. You will be taught how we enter and process
the data we record on our surveys. Photo-identification allows us to keep a
record of re-sightings of individuals and to give us another derivative of
abundance.

Public outreach and awareness-raising is a key element of our work. We run
monthly public watch events at a beauty spot in the south of the island
where you will talk to people about local species and help them to spot
animals. We attend numerous small events such as carnivals and fun-days
with our travelling information stall.

The newly opened Manx Whale and Dolphin Visitor's Centre is in the heart of
Peel, attracting many locals and tourists. We offer information about local
species, recent sightings, how and where to spot them, general cetacean
facts and a small merchandise area. The Young Scientist's Area features a
collection of locally found bones and activity area. Workshops for children
will be organised for the summer months.

As a volunteer for Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch, you will be spending the
summer in the beautiful ‘city’ of Peel on the Isle of Man. Peel is a
fantastic place to live with two beaches, an impressive castle,
entertaining pubs and the chance of seeing basking sharks from the
breakwater.

We do not have a typical working week as we must take advantage of good
weather when it is available. We work most weekends, but you will get two
days off per week. Previous volunteers have taken up part-time evening work
to help with living costs.

Experience is not essential but a strong desire to further a career in
conservation, marine biology or environmental education is important. You
must have a strong work ethic and be able to think pro-actively, learning
from the role and using your own initiative to develop new projects over
the course of the summer. If you can bring a car, this would open much more
flexibility in terms of exploring the island and conducting surveys without
a member of staff.

You will be living in shared accommodation within a beautiful big town
house in the centre of Old Peel. There are two single rooms and one twin,
so you may have to share (same sex). The bathrooms, kitchen, dining/living
area and the garden are shared. Rent is £75 per week.

You can get to the Isle of Man easily from the UK or Ireland via the ferry
(Steam-Packet) or a flight to our airport (Ronaldsway).

To apply, please email info at mwdw.net with a copy of your CV and a covering
letter explaining why you would like to come and volunteer with us.
Applications deadline is Sunday 7th April after which we will contact
successful applicants offering an interview.

--

*Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch* Charity number 1188

*phone:* +441624 610 131

*address:* Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch, 31 Michael Street, Peel, IM5 1HD

*web:* mwdw.net <http://www.mwdw.net/>

*email:* info at mwdw.net