[MARMAM] Job Announcement
msamuelson at imms.org
Thu Mar 21 12:53:38 PDT 2019
Job Title: Research Technician
Organization: The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (IMMS)
Location: Gulfport, MS
Job Category: Full-time, hourly wages
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
To Apply: E-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Dr. Mystera Samuelson at msamuelson at imms.org<mailto:msamuelson at imms.org>. Be sure to put "IMMS Research Technician" in the subject line.
Last Date to Apply: 04/05/2019
The position will be in the research and conservation department at IMMS, and will be to assist in data collection and entry for ongoing studies regarding the biology and natural history of marine mammals and sea turtles in Mississippi and Louisiana coastal waters. This would include photo-id surveys, stranding response, rehabilitation, environmental data acquisition. Duties will include processing data processing in the office, and field and office duties as assigned.
This position will require that the successful applicant assist in other departments at the facility, including educational outreach, marine mammal and sea turtle stranding response, necropsies (field or lab), and other duties as assigned. Job task performed will vary from day to day and will include long hours in the field in a variety of weather conditions as well as extended time processing data in the office.
Qualifications and experience:
* U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status
* Completed degree from a four-year college/university in biology or comparable program
* Demonstrated knowledge of scientific data collection and management procedures
* Knowledge of operating and maintaining water quality instrumentation, GPS devices, digital cameras, boats, and jet skis
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
* Work in physically demanding environments (e.g., cold weather, extreme heat, rain, humidity, prolonged exposure to biting insects)
* Attention to detail in all facets of work
* Experience with boat operation, and hauling small boats
* Answer hotline calls from the public, for IMMS' 24 hour stranding hotline, regarding stranded sea turtles and marine mammals
* Excellent communication skills
* Excellent writing skills
* Field and laboratory necropsy of deceased animals
* Willingness and ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed
* Ability to manage volunteers and interns in field and office settings
* Assist in database management
* Ability to work independently, or as part of a team
* Ability to work in an office setting for prolonged periods
* Positive attitude, enthusiasm, and established work ethic
* Other duties as assigned
The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies is an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about the institute at www.imms.org<http://www.imms.org>.
Mystera M. Samuelson, PhD
The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies
10801 Dolphin Lane Gulfport, MS 39503
(228) 896-9182 Ext. 1766
msamuelson at imms.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM