[MARMAM] Brighton Dolphin Project - Volunteer Team Leader
WCA Project Team
projects at worldcetaceanalliance.org
Thu Mar 7 09:35:20 PST 2019
*POSITION TITLE: *Brighton Dolphin Project – Volunteer Team Leader
*REPORTS TO: *Project Coordinator
*DURATION: *Three months – from Monday June 3rd to September 15th
*HOURS: *40 hours a week (including evening and regular weekend work as
*LOCATION: *Brighton, UK
The Brighton Dolphin Project is an initiative from the World Cetacean
Alliance that aims to improve awareness about the local marine ecosystems
and species across Sussex. Brighton has a rich cultural heritage with
Dolphins, and we want to celebrate everything about them along the Sussex
coastline, whilst connecting a city with its dolphins in the newly created
biosphere reserve. This is achieved through:
- Conducting Research: studying local dolphin/wildlife populations
through a Public Sightings Database, as well as studying our own impact on
the marine environment.
- Inspiring the Next Generation: carrying out fun, interactive
activities at our Dolphin Discovery Centre, as well as organising school
workshops about the ocean.Connecting People with Nature: hosting a series
of wildlife trips so everyone can learn about and hopefully see some of our
amazing marine wildlife here in Brighton.
- Collaborating for Conservation: working with not-for-profit
organisations to discover more about marine life by creating projects that
raise awareness about our seas.
*About the Role *
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to assist with the overall
coordination and development of the project, as well as providing ongoing
support and training opportunities for our team of over 100 volunteers.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop team leader skills, as
well as having the opportunity to gain experience in public engagement and
marine conservation research.
The successful candidate reports directly to our Project Coordinator, as
well as the CEO of the World Cetacean Alliance. You will receive in-situ
training from us and work closely with colleagues at WCA Headquarters’ in
Brighton. The WCA is unable to cover personal expenses.
Recruitment of volunteers through posting on conservation job-searching
websites and forums, hosting interviews and promoting opportunities in the
Development of volunteer rotas for the Discovery Centre and Wildlife Cruise
Maintaining records of all activities undertaken by volunteers.
Creating opportunities for the project to host our Wildlife Guide training
Answering queries from prospective volunteers, as well as members of the
public about the Brighton Dolphin Project (including the press)
Work with the Project Coordinator to oversee the day-to-day operations of
the Discovery Centre, including allocating volunteers and running our
Maintaining our activity on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
by creating content that inspires people to follow our work.
Create content about various aspects of our work for the website.
Conducting research and applying for prospective funding grants.
Attend outreach events in Sussex to represent the Brighton Dolphin Project.
Act as a Wildlife Guide on board our summer boat trips, educating people
about marine life in Brighton and marine conservation.
Assist the Project Coordinator with contacting marine/wildlife conservation
organisations about becoming Partners of the project.
- Commitment to raising awareness of marine conservation.
- Passion to inspire and educate people of all ages.
- Experience delivering educational activities to children and young
- Experience coordinating and training volunteers
- Ability to thrive in a multi-tasking, high energy environment.
- Ability to be a self-starter and keep track of personal project work.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills, with the ability to inspire
and motivate others.
- Computer proficient including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Degree in relevant science or environment subject
- Knowledge of cetaceans and their conservation
- Prior experience of community engagement in marine conservation
- Prior experience of data entry and handling
- Full drivers’ licence and access to a car
Throughout your time with us, we can offer you the following:
- Training to develop and deliver environmental education activities.
- Training from BDP/WCA as part of our Responsible Whale Watching Guide
- Experience educating a variety of different ages, in a number of
- Develop knowledge of working for a small NGO with an active citizen
- Opportunity to learn about and network with WCAs 100 Partners in 40
- Build on your network of contacts for career development / research or
If you would like to apply for this position, please email a current C.V.
and covering letter outlining your interest to Simon McPherson at
bdp at worldcetaceanalliance.org
Application Deadline: Sunday 14th April.
Short listed candidates will be invited to a Skype interview week
commencing Monday 29th April.
We look forward to receiving your application!
*World Cetacean Alliance*
Studio 3, Lower Promenade
Madeira Drive, Brighton, BN2 1ET, UK.
t: +44 (0) 1273 355011
e: projects at worldcetaceanalliance.org
The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is a Partnership of over 90 non-profit
organisations, whale and dolphin watching tour operators and individuals in
40 countries worldwide working collaboratively to protect cetaceans and
their habitats. World Cetacean Alliance, the Secretariat to the
Partnership, is a UK registered Charity no. 1160484. The content of this
e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, be aware
that forwarding it, copying it, or in any way disclosing its content to any
other person, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail
immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this email or
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM