[MARMAM] Project Assistant x2

WCA Project Team projects at worldcetaceanalliance.org
Thu Mar 7 09:32:19 PST 2019

*POSITION TITLE: *Brighton Dolphin Project – Project Assistant x2

*REPORTS TO: *Project Coordinator

*DURATION: *Three months – from Monday June 3rd to September 15th

*HOURS: *40 hours a week (including evening and regular weekend work as
required)

*LOCATION: *Brighton, UK

*About Us*

The Brighton Dolphin Project is an initiative from the World Cetacean
Alliance that aims to improve awareness about the local marine ecosystems
and species across Sussex. Brighton has a rich cultural heritage with
Dolphins, and we want to celebrate everything about them along the Sussex
coastline, whilst connecting a city with its dolphins in the newly created
biosphere reserve. This is achieved through:

   - Conducting Research: studying local dolphin/wildlife populations
   through a Public Sightings Database, as well as studying our own impact on
   the marine environment.
   - Inspiring the Next Generation: carrying out fun, interactive
   activities at our Dolphin Discovery Centre, as well as organising school
   workshops about the ocean.
   - Connecting People with Nature: hosting a series of wildlife trips so
   everyone can learn about and hopefully see some of our amazing marine
   wildlife here in Brighton.
   - Collaborating for Conservation: working with not-for-profit
   organisations to discover more about marine life by creating projects that
   raise awareness about our seas.

*About the Role *

We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to assist with all aspects of
the Brighton Dolphin Project, so that we can inspire the local community to
care about marine conservation. You will have the opportunity to help us
with collect data on cetaceans in Sussex, run our discovery centre and
inspire the public through community engagement events throughout the
summer.

The successful candidates will report directly to our Project Coordinator,
as well as the Brighton Dolphin Project team. You will receive in-situ
training from us and work closely with colleagues at WCA Headquarters’ in
Brighton. The WCA is unable to cover personal expenses.

*Duties*

   - Manning our Discovery Centre to inspire visitors about marine
   conservation through running our activities including beach cleans and a VR
   experience
   - Assist our Research & Sightings Officer with entering and checking
   sightings data, as well as examining photographs of Dolphins for our
   catalogue.
   - Updating our social media and website with details of latest sightings.
   - Attend outreach events in Sussex to represent the Brighton Dolphin
   Project.
   - Act as a Wildlife Guide on board our summer boat trips, educating
   people about marine life in Brighton and marine conservation.
   - Conducting research into possible funding grants we can apply for to
   assist with different aspects of the project.
   - There may also be the opportunity to assist with the work of the World
   Cetacean Alliance e.g. conducting research into whale watching companies.

*Essential Criteria*

Commitment to raising awareness of marine conservation.

Passion to inspire and educate people of all ages.

Experience delivering educational activities to children and young people.

Ability to thrive in a multi-tasking, high energy environment.

Ability to be a self-starter and keep track of personal project work.

Strong communication and teamwork skills.

Computer proficient including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

*Desirable Criteria*

   - Degree in relevant science or environment subject
   - Knowledge of cetaceans and their conservation
   - Prior experience of creating educational resources
   - Prior experience of data entry and handling
   - Prior experience of community engagement about wildlife conservation
   - Full drivers’ licence and access to a car

*Benefits*

Throughout your time with us, we can offer you the following:

   - Training to develop and deliver environmental education activities
   - Training from BDP/WCA as part of our Responsible Whale Watching Guide
   course.
   - Experience educating a variety of different ages, in a number of
   different environments.
   - Develop knowledge of working for a small NGO with an active citizen
   science project.
   - Opportunity to learn about and network with WCAs 100 Partners in 40
   countries.
   - Build on your network of contacts for career development / research or
   voluntary opportunities.

*Interested?*

If you would like to apply for this position, please email a current C.V.
and covering letter outlining your interest to Simon McPherson at
bdp at worldcetaceanalliance.org

Application Deadline: Sunday 14th April.

Short listed candidates will be invited to a Skype interview week
commencing Monday 29th April.

We look forward to receiving your application!

*Projects Team*
*World Cetacean Alliance*
Studio 3, Lower Promenade
Madeira Drive, Brighton, BN2 1ET, UK.
t: +44 (0) 1273 355011
e: projects at worldcetaceanalliance.org
<http://www.worldcetaceanalliance.org/>www.worldcetaceanalliance.org
www.whaleheritagesites.org

The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is a Partnership of over 90 non-profit
organisations, whale and dolphin watching tour operators and individuals in
40 countries worldwide working collaboratively to protect cetaceans and
their habitats. World Cetacean Alliance, the Secretariat to the
Partnership, is a UK registered Charity no. 1160484. The content of this
e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, be aware
that forwarding it, copying it, or in any way disclosing its content to any
other person, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail
immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this email or
it's attachments.