[MARMAM] Summer Field Researcher/Field Research Assistant, West Coast of Canada, 2019
dlal2019ca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:44:11 PST 2019
We are now recruiting one field researcher/research assistant for the 2019
field season in July and August on the West Coast of Canada. The
interdisciplinary research project merges state-of-the-art machine learning
methods, and orca bioacoustics & behaviors. The fieldwork plays a critial
role in collecting orca bioacoustic and behavioral data suitable for later
machine learning tasks and the pilot study is in close collboration with
FAU. It will be carried out from a boat-based research platform.
The position is for 6-8 weeks in July and August. Applicant must be able to
join the ENTIRE expedition. Due to our remote research location and working
and living on a research sailing vessel as a team, applicant needs to be in
good physical condition, able to participate with the daily routine on
board (e.g. cooking & cleaning) and of living off the grid, and be
comfortable with sharing limited room with others for an extended period of
time. Long working hours whenever needed is expected. Due to working in
remote locations there is very limited Internet access, limited medical
service and limited fresh water for shower on board.
Duties include but not limited to:
- take watches to scan for orcas with support of state-of-the-art automatic
orca detection tools on board
- bioacoustic data collection
- video documentation of behavioural observations
, documenting all sightings, including photo IDs
- data review
- strong interest in marine mammals and in applying advanced
machine-learning methods to bioacoustic research
- proficiency in PAM Guard
- familiarity with boat-based survey
- familiarity with camera work
- strong sense of responsibility, work ethic, and attention to detail
- ability to work long days independent of sun/heat/cold
- excellent verbal communication skills, fluent in English
This position is voluntary. Yet a financial compensation is available upon
the successful completion of the expedition. The group meals on board are
covered and accommodation and expedition expenses are covered.
This is a great opportunity for researchers from a biology background to
work in an interdisciplinary environment while getting first hand exposure
to advanced machine learning methods in the context of addressing
long-standing research questions in animal communication.
More information is available upon request. To apply, please submit the
following to dlal2019ca at gmail.com:
- a cover letter describing why you are interested in this position, how
the experience will help you to meet your long-term goals, and your dates
- a resume (or curriculum vitae) describing your relevant training and
- names and contact information for one reference.
Look forward to hearing from you!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM