[MARMAM] New Publication: Evaluating long-term impacts of human interactions to bottlenose dolphins

Jessica Powell - NOAA Federal jessica.powell at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 29 07:03:13 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our recent publication in Journal of Cetacean
Research and Management titled,  *Sixteen years later: an updated
evaluation of the impacts of chronic human interactions with bottlenose
dolphins (Tursiops truncatus truncatus) at Panama City, Florida, USA. *

Our observations indicate that harassment of bottlenose dolphins in Panama
City, Florida has escalated: dolphins are being actively provisioned, often
for long periods of time; the proportion of conditioned dolphins has
increased; interacting dolphins and humans are both at increased risk for
injury, illness, or death; and conditioned dolphin activity budgets and
movement patterns continue to be negatively impacted by human behaviour.

To learn more details about this study, you may access the full publication
here:  https://archive.iwc.int/?r=7931

Citation:
Powell, J.R., Machernis, A.F., Engleby, L.K., Farmer, N.A. and Spradlin,
T.R. 2018. Sixteen years later: an updated evaluation of the impacts of
chronic human interactions with bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus
truncatus*) at Panama City, Florida, USA. *J. Cetacean Res. Manage. *19:
79-93.

Best,
Jessica

Jessica R. Powell, M.S.