[MARMAM] Manatee Observers Needed
EMcMichael at remsainc.com
Fri Jan 18 08:11:17 PST 2019
MANATEE OBSERVERS NEEDED!
REMSA Inc's Marine Endangered Species Observer (MESO) Program is seeking skilled and experienced Protected Species Observers (ESOs/PSOs) with previous manatee monitoring experience during dredging activities for a project in Jacksonville, FL starting in March 2019. Observer invoices are submitted and processed on a bi-weekly basis.
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
Currently looking for PSOs available in March and April 2019, with possible extension through June 2019.
Protected Species Observers will conduct protected species observations, watches, and mitigation measures during marine construction projects in Jacksonville Harbor. PSOs will be required to perform duties in adverse/inclement weather and during daylight and nighttime shifts 12 hours in duration. Must be able to work independently and follow technical instructions as required. Previous experience conducting manatee watches during dredging projects is required.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Identification of marine animals to species
- Maintain watch for marine mammals, specifically manatees, in all mitigation zones
- Record sightings of marine species, keep organized and up-to-date logs, complete daily summary reports
- Coordinate temporary project shut-downs when manatees are present in project zones
- Ability to work outside during any weather conditions for long periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members and construction personnel
- Report interactions with endangered/threatened species to REMSA, Inc. personnel, construction company, and various government agencies as instructed
**Must have prior experience monitoring for manatee interactions during dredging projects**
Must be a U.S. Citizen or have authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship or restrictions
Must have Endangered/Protected Species Observer approval from the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)
Must have prior marine mammal and sea turtle observation experience
Must have or be able to obtain a Federal Transportation Identification Workers Card (TWIC)
Must have Bachelor's Degree in Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology, or related field
Knowledge of Marine Mammal Protection Act and Endangered Species Act
Must be able to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
BENEFITS & SALARY:
These are Independent Contractor positions, daily rates depend on experience
Housing and daily food stipend provided in addition to daily rate
Bi-weekly invoice submissions and processing
Interested applicants should send the following application materials:
- Detailed resume or CV documenting all relevant experience, education, and skills
- Copies of NMFS approval/certifications, FL FWC Manatee Monitoring Form, MMO training certificates
- Cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit for this position
Submit all materials as attachments to the posting: .pdf files or MS Word 2003 compatible files to
Erin McMichael at emcmichael at remsainc.com
REMSA Inc. Supports a Drug Free Work Place
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM