[MARMAM] New articles on multi-host transmission of cetacean morbillivirus and expansion of host range to river otters

Sandro Mazzariol sandro.mazzariol at unipd.it
Tue Jan 8 21:42:44 PST 2019

Dear Collegues

wishing you all an happy 2019, my Collegues and me are happy to announce
two new papers on cetaceans morbillivirus host range. The most recent
one is a brief report on dolphin morbillivirus host range with a new
species involved in Italy (river otters). This paper follows another
relevant one published on the evolutionary evidences for multi-host
transmission on cetacean morbillivirus published in December 2018.
References for the two articles are here below reported.

*Padalino I, Di Guardo G, Carbone A, Troiano P, Parisi A, Galante D, et
al. Dolphin morbillivirus in Eurasian otters, Italy. Emerg Infect Dis.
2019 Feb*

We report biomolecular evidence of dolphin morbillivirus in 4 wild
Eurasian otters (Lutra lutra) from southern Italy; 2 animals showed
simultaneous immunohistochemical reactivity against morbilliviral
antigen. These cases add further concern and support to the
progressively expanding host range of dolphin morbillivirus in the
western Mediterranean Sea.

The article is ahead of print and you can read it at the following web
address
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/2/18-0256_article#suggestedcitation

*
*

*Jo WK, Kruppa J, Habierski A, van de Bildt M, Mazzariol S, Di Guardo G,
Siebert U, Kuiken T, Jung K, Osterhaus A, Ludlow M. Evolutionary
evidence for multi-host transmission of cetacean morbillivirus. Emerg
Microbes Infect. 2018 Dec 5;7(1):201.*

Cetacean morbillivirus (CeMV) has emerged as the pathogen that poses the
greatest risk of triggering epizootics in cetacean populations
worldwide, and has a high propensity for interspecies transmission,
including sporadic infection of seals. In this study, we investigated
the evolutionary history of CeMV by deep sequencing wild-type viruses
from tissue samples representing cetacean species with different
spatiotemporal origins. Bayesian phylogeographic analysis generated an
estimated evolutionary rate of 2.34 × 10-4 nucleotide
substitutions/site/year and showed that CeMV evolutionary dynamics are
neither host-restricted nor location-restricted. Moreover, the dolphin
morbillivirus strain of CeMV has undergone purifying selection without
evidence of species-specific mutations. Cell-to-cell fusion and growth
kinetics assays demonstrated that CeMV can use both dolphin and seal
CD150 as a cellular receptor. Thus, it appears that CeMV can readily
spread among multiple cetacean populations and may pose an additional
spillover risk to seals.

Download at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41426-018-0207-x

All the best

Sandro Mazzariol

--
Dr. Sandro Mazzariol, DVM, PhD
Dipartimento di Biomedicina Comparata e Alimentazione (BCA)

AGRIPOLIS - Ed. Museo
Viale dell'Università 16
35020 - Legnaro (PD)

tel.: +39 049 827 2963