[MARMAM] Last-minute Call for internship in Madeira Archipelago

Rita Ferreira ritabferreira at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:20:57 PST 2019

*LAST-MINUTE CALL FOR INTERNSHIPS FOR APRIL*

*CIIMAR-Madeira/OOM/ARDITI is looking for 2 interns to participate in
CETUS-Madeira, a marine mammals’ research project based in Madeira Island,
Portugal*

We are currently filling *2 positions for 1st April – 31 May 2019*.

*Internship Details:*

In Madeira Archipelago, located in Macaronesia (NE Atlantic), 29 species of
cetaceans are recorded. Daily, there is one ferry boat that conducts trips
between the 2 main islands of the archipelago, Madeira and Porto Santo. The
interns will be enrolled in data collection through visual surveys 3 days
per week. Interns must cover all their accommodation, travel and food
expenses, except onboard, where food is provided. These positions are
unpaid but we encourage candidates to seek grants where we can post as host
institution. In order to cover for logistic expenses, there is a monthly
fee of 75eur. Non-European candidates must cover their own insurance
expenses.

*Internship description:*

 - Training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and data
processing and analysis;

- Sea surveys between Madeira and Porto Santo;

- Educational activities in local schools or to the general public, when
possible;

- Participation on research trips, when possible;

- Free time to visit Madeira and Porto Santo;

- Accident insurance.

Successful applicants should possess or be enrolled in a BS or MS course in
biology or related, be reliable, dedicated, adaptable and patient, as this
work is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive days of work at
sea. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing
a career in marine mammal research, this is an excellent opportunity to
learn and gain experience at sea.

If you are interested in interning, please send a CV and a letter of
interest to rita.ferreira at oom.arditi.pt.

Thank you,

Rita Ferreira

MSc

Oceanic Observatory of Madeira – ARDITI

http://oom.arditi.pt

MARE – Marine and Environmental Sciences Center

Madeira Tecnopolo, Caminho da Penteada, Piso 0

9020-105 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

+351 291 721 216