[MARMAM] Paid Undergraduate Summer Research Program in One Health and the Environment

Kristina Cammen kristina.cammen at maine.edu
Wed Feb 27 05:25:20 PST 2019

The University of Maine Initiative for One Health and the Environment is
excited to announce a new NSF-funded REU program for summer 2019, entitled
Accelerating New Environmental Workskills (ANEW). REU ANEW is a 10-week
paid summer research internship. Each summer, we will invite 10 motivated
undergraduate students to join our faculty and graduate students to conduct
cutting-edge research at the intersection of human, animal, and
environmental health.  REU ANEW students will have the opportunity to work
directly with faculty research mentors, as well as Broader Impacts mentors
who are working in the field to apply One Health research to real world
problems.  Through our program, students will develop critical research and
thinking skills that are directly relevant to future career success, and
build lasting professional relationships with their undergraduate peers,
graduate students, and faculty and broader impacts mentors.

Are you interested in studying the link between genetics and marine mammal
health, the risk of diseases known as zoonoses that can transfer from
animals to humans, or how policy and climate change are impacting
environmental health?  If so, you should consider applying to our new
program! For more information and to apply, visit
https://nsfa.umaine.edu/one-health/REU.  Application review will begin on
March 20 and all complete applications submitted before this deadline will
receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will
continue to be reviewed until all positions are filled. Please direct any
questions you have about the program or the application process to
anne.lichtenwalner at maine.edu and kristina.cammen at maine.edu.

Stipend: All REU participants will receive a generous summer stipend
($5,750) and living expenses, including travel expenses and housing at the
University of Maine in Orono.

Eligibility: All REU students must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or
permanent residents of the U.S.  Students must have completed at least one
year of an Associates or Baccalaureate degree program prior to the summer
internship, and must plan to continue in their degree program following
this summer internship (graduating seniors are not eligible). As part of
the National Science Foundation’s and our commitment to broadening
participation, we especially encourage students who self-identify with
groups that are under-represented in science, technology, engineering and
math (STEM) to apply, as well as students attending institutions with
relatively limited research opportunities (e.g., community colleges and
some undergraduate-only institutions).

The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on
the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender
status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age,
disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment,
education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has
been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies:
Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall,
University of Maine, Orono, ME  04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine
Relay System).