[MARMAM] New publication: Acoustic occurrence and behavior of ribbon seals in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort seas

Heloise Frouin-Mouy Heloise.frouin-mouy at jasco.com
Sat Feb 23 10:31:20 PST 2019

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the following paper is now available online:

Frouin-Mouy, H., Mouy, X., Berchok, C.L., Blackwell, S.B., Stafford, K.M., 2019. Acoustic occurrence and behavior of ribbon seals (Histriophoca fasciata) in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort seas. Polar Biology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00300-019-02462-y

Abstract:
Due to the difficulty of studying ice seals in their natural environment, distribution and movement patterns of ribbon seals (Histriophoca fasciata) over large spatio-temporal scales are poorly understood. In this study, we analyzed their distribution patterns in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort seas, using passive acoustic data collected between August 2012 and July 2013 at 53 recording sites. Ribbon seal downsweeps were found using spectrogram correlation autodetection, at 30 of these recording sites. These detections were further manually analyzed to investigate the vocal repertoire and quantify the diel pattern in acoustic presence. We found that the Beaufort Sea shelf and the northern Bering Strait/southern Chukchi Sea are ecologically important for ribbon seals during the open-water season. Our results suggest that the northeastern Chukchi Sea serves as part of a migration corridor to and from the Chukchi Plateau and/or Beaufort Sea. In the Bering Sea, most detections occurred from February to June. Vocal activity was higher at nighttime than during the daytime prior to the peak calling period, while during the peak calling period, diel rhythm became less pronounced. The number of calls, proportional use of downsweeps, and bandwidth of downsweeps (estimated broadband source level 170-178 dB re 1 μPa-m) increased during the breeding period, from March to June, peaking in May. An additional call type, the "shuffle", was identified in this study. These results improve our understanding of the migration, occurrence, and acoustic behavior of ribbon seals in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort seas.

A full-text view-only version of the paper can be read from: https://rdcu.be/bm5ey<http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=lMZy1lernSJ7apc5DgYM8cYkjZDu07u8RNDlXw3zBMg-3D_b0QeZf9zhN7H17JOPvvQ-2BJbL-2F2YEm5we-2FCEVDOlwhKAANQgievsK4AZTJq7LosI0NdY8fSXWPyx5jBPF519orfUDbQnjpNLqxfqQQzWP9LaNlwIn8hZoXscEuFFfCq0HZ6sE1ELOMD5jQWCJK4-2FsyjtFB-2BdxGiTs9xz-2BOqjCZk2rvPKaMpAKrRG6vVO5-2BeGwFB7Do1cyNNkF4mdGRr9LPb2Gj1VDneYdAWeei7GBH9SzZ0wk8S-2FH66OF9bkfMXG-2B6LYZm70cdqhyfoZIZ24Sx9NgBOud-2F4-2Bcy6bHzRnzW68-3D>

Best regards,

Heloise

Heloise Frouin-Mouy, Ph.D.
Bio-acoustician