[MARMAM] Occurrence of blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) in offshore waters of southeastern Brazil.

Alessandra Rocha emaildaalessandra at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:49:18 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication: Rocha
A, Marchetto C, Pacheco L and Secchi ER. 2019. Occurrence of blue
whales (*Balaenoptera
musculus*) in offshore waters of southeastern Brazil. Marine Biodiversity
Records. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41200-019-0163-8

Abstract:
At-sea sightings of blue whales, *Balaenoptera musculus*, in Brazil are
rare. A mother-calf pair was observed in deep (2645m) waters off
southeastern Brazil (22°11′S 038°58′W); during a seismic survey in July
2014. It is unknown to which of the subspecies the animals sighted belong.
The presence of a calf suggests that blue whales use deep waters off Brazil
as calving or nursing grounds. The identification and conservation of
wintering grounds for blue whale populations is important to promote the
recovery of blue whales as their numbers were critically reduced as a
result of commercial whaling.

An open access PDF copy can be downloaded from
http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=lMZy1lernSJ7apc5DgYM8eHSezOXtFfXTYFJeG1xLBk-3D_4T60eHcID7q-2FwslrDKuqzQsqu6-2FfCUyGA6wQP8mvKjei5D0synfB6FmmAiD00hJlHP4icfB5vBLgw5Z-2FqnKUxG93QpL1FhGWVYrcMHmu5r8A4a9kp7tVs27wgdB-2Bpa-2Bsc6cxmp9OqxoqP99iwYDzNEja3I-2B3jfvecKbcgo6tYpD8Gu9iPkLlLWfhwlbK0FclVxEOZr5a5z4a-2FXjiQ6c3NiIpSvdZv8btxHr2zBAGhMbSKi3NUEu8OK0FzeXpOsp1a18T4PNyA4YgWLLUUkaeMQ-3D-3D

Kind regards,
Alessandra Rocha.
--
Bolsista do *Projeto de Conservação da Toninha no litoral norte do Rio
Grande do Sul: integrando pesquisa e o conhecimento das comunidades