[MARMAM] New publication: A review of unmanned vehicles for the detection and monitoring of marine fauna

Ursula Verfuss ukv at smruconsulting.com
Mon Feb 18 08:10:57 PST 2019

Dear all,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to share our recent publication with you:

Verfuss, U.K., Aniceto, A.S., Harris, D.V., Gillespie, D., Fielding, S., Jiménez, G., Johnston, P., Sinclair, R.R., Sivertsen, A., Solbø, S.A., Storvold, R., Biuw, M., Wyatt, R., 2019. A review of unmanned vehicles for the detection and monitoring of marine fauna. Marine Pollution Bulletin 140, 17-29.

The paper reviews currently available unmanned platforms suitable for surveying marine mammals and may therefore be of interested to the MARMAM community.

A B S T R A C T
Recent technology developments have turned present-day unmanned systems into realistic alternatives to traditional
marine animal survey methods. Benefits include longer survey durations, improved mission safety,
mission repeatability, and reduced operational costs. We review the present status of unmanned vehicles suitable
for marine animal monitoring conducted in relation to industrial offshore activities, highlighting which systems
are suitable for three main monitoring types: population, mitigation, and focal animal monitoring. We describe
the technical requirements for each of these monitoring types and discuss the operational aspects. The selection
of a specific sensor/platform combination depends critically on the target species and its behaviour. The technical
specifications of unmanned platforms and sensors also need to be selected based on the surrounding
conditions of a particular offshore project, such as the area of interest, the survey requirements and operational
constraints.

Please feel free to download the article here (open access):

https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0025326X19300098

Best,

Ursula

Dr Ursula Verfuss
Principal Scientist · Bioacoustics

[1]

SMRU Consulting|New Technology Centre|North Haugh|ST ANDREWS|Fife  KY16 9SR|Scotland
email: ukv at smruconsulting.com<mailto:ukv at smruconsulting.com>  |Tel: +44 (0)1334 466011
websites: www.smruconsulting.com<http://www.smruconsulting.com/> | [cid:image005.png at 01CE7722.381114C0]  @SMRU_Consulting  [cid:image006.jpg at 01CE7722.381114C0]  www.linkedin.com/company/smru-marine<http://www.linkedin.com/company/smru-marine>

P  Please consider whether you really need a hard copy of this email before printing it - thank you

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This message, and any attachments, are intended solely for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this email.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are free from any virus, we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

SMRU Consulting is a trading name of SMRU Limited, which is a limited company registered in Scotland, Registered Number: SC296937.  Registered Office:  5 Atholl Crescent, Edinburgh  EH3 8EJ.