[MARMAM] Fieldwork internship opportunity with the Nova Atlantis Foundation.

Nova Atlantis oceanwatch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 07:17:16 PST 2019

*Fieldwork internship opportunity with the Nova Atlantis Foundation.*

The Nova Atlantis Foundation (www.nova-atlantis.org
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nova-atlantis.org%2F&h=CAQGmg5FoAQEtAnnouiixExrinzFS9DZg5qgb-ltZUdNyCA&enc=AZPvOcwjNEBjCyihbUtGjv6Jox_lzD_bzMj9Fa1mJq9v-T38WQgxnJnGm417KiQFvW8C5fCQWRF7oCtrXvIGfYcfcCe1BsQ1vGs90jV5jbG86WpVShk1w99VIRxNeDNoJyha12wzx-eiipB1kKN5334iMkH9pmZMhtrPfzj2_yAiBs-mSUazLo-qzeRodWMzs4NGxpLxuS2eX0efzMO55S5f&s=1>)
is  an NGO working on Pico island, Azores. We are preparing our 20th
fieldwork season, dedicated to studying the social ecology of the Risso´s
dolphin

We are also seeking *biology students *to work in the field for the period *May
to September *(With possibly some extra weeks in *April*). Candidates
should preferably be available for at least 2 months. We will collect data
from several long-term followed and resident Risso’s dolphin male pods,
using a *drone*whenever possible.  Candidates who have experience with
flying a drone (DJI) are welcome to apply as well.

The general fieldwork internship includes:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and
data processing

- Sea-surveys and land based data collection

- Data processing

- Additional work e.g. boat cleaning and preparation, maintenance of the
observation post and garden.

We are *not*looking for students who have a strong interest in taking
photos and films, but we welcome interns who want to focus on recording
behaviour of groups and individuals and who are intrinsically interested to
learn about detailed behaviour of wild ranging cetaceans.

Interns must be self-motivated, with the drive and determination to work
independently and responsibly, and with a true interest in marine
conservation and animal behaviour.

We make long hours in the field and have few days off. Fieldwork is highly
weather dependent and requires consecutive long days of work at sea and
from land. On a typical field day, we split the team in a land crew and a
sea crew and work in shifts allowing all to rotate and gain experience in
several methodologies. We use rough weather days for data entry,
maintenance tasks or a day off.

The fieldwork internship requires a payment to cover running field work
costs.

Expenses for travelling to and from the field worksite, accommodation and
food are not included in this fee. The Nova Atlantis Foundation offers
accommodation in collaboration with a local family in Santa Cruz das
Ribeiras (200 EUR per month, all inclusive- ex food). Interns are free to
find their own accommodation in the Ribeiras area as well.

A combination of fieldwork and data analysis is possible.

Application deadline is 15*-03-2019. *

To apply please send a short letter (state which period you prefer) and a
short CV to: oceanwatch at gmail.com

--
Karin Hartman, PhD

Nova Atlantis Foundation