[MARMAM] New publication on potential collision risk between fin and humpback whales with large cargo vessels in Chile (Ana Garcia)

Ana M Garcia Cegarra albatracu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 02:29:59 PST 2019

On behalf of my co-author, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
research article "Collision risk areas between fin and humpback whales with
large cargo vessels in Mejillones Bay (23ºS), Northern Chile".

Garcia-Cegarra, A.M. and Pacheco, A.S. Collision risk areas between fin and
humpback whales with large cargo vessels in Mejillones Bay (23ºS), Northern
Chile. Marine Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2018.12.022

Abstract

Enclosed areas such as embayments with high levels of marine traffic
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/marine-traffic> may put
at co-occurring cetaceans
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/cetacean> at
risk due to collisions with vessels. The distribution of seven cetacean
species and their spatial overlap with navigation
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/navigation>
routes
of large cargo ships
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/cargo-ships>
, fishing vessels
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/fishing-vessel>
and
recreational vessels were evaluated off the major port
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/harbours> in
Mejillones Bay, northern Chile. Shipping distribution, navigation speeds
and cetacean positions were obtained from land-based theodolite
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/theodolite>
surveys.
Sighting positions were also recorded from boat-based surveys. Overlap
analysis based on 50% Kernel density estimations
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/statistical-inference>
suggested
that the spatial distribution
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/spatial-distribution>
of
fin and humpback whales overlapped with a high concentration of large cargo
vessel navigation paths. These results point to the need for the
implementation effective regulation of vessel speed to mitigate the risk of
collision in Mejillones Bay.

You can find  the research article in:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X18300861

You can request a free copy in my research gate profile:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ana_Garcia_Cegarra?ev=hdr_xprf&_sg=Mt_3W3UY0o8b3BSJpYCCcyP_HzLVFkuMmGUNm8K9eJP8PfquClCUA9B4CRG8arob9lylWzoBLz2lul6SVsssbpHn

Or you can email me for a pdf copy, queries or comments:
anamaria.garcia at uantof.cl

Best regards,

Ana

PHD candidate Ana M. Garcia-Cegarra, Antofagasta University, Chile.

Centro de Investigación de Fauna Marina y Avistamiento de Cetáceos (CIFAMAC
NGO)

Web: https://cifamac-chile.weebly.com

CEL: +56981282252