[MARMAM] New paper: Galapagos sea lion personality and coping with disturbance

Geno DeRango gderango at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 01:31:46 PST 2019

Dear MARMAMers,

My co-authors and I are happy to make you all aware of our new publication
in Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. Significance statement and link to
the paper are found below:

Intraspecific variation in boldness and exploration shapes behavioral
(2019) doi:10.1007/s00265-019-2775-8

Galápagos sea lions are an endangered pinniped species which live within a
habitat characterized by a large degree of environmental uncertainty. We
hypothesized that, depending on their personality, Galápagos sea lion pups
may show varying degrees of behavioral plasticity in response to a dynamic
early life environment. We show that bold pups and those that were less
explorative during novel object tests and within their natural habitat were
more likely to habituate quickly to stressful experiences (i.e., a capture
and handling regime). We postulate that a familiarity with the physical and
social environment in addition to personality traits may play an important
role in how individual sea lion pups assess and cope with early life risks.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337833176_Intraspecific_variation_in_boldness_and_exploration_shapes_behavioral_responses_to_stress_in_Galapagos_sea_lion_pups

Best,
Geno DeRango

Galapagos sea lion Project