[MARMAM] Potential field assistant meeting opportunity at WMMC

CKDolphin Project ckdolphinproject at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 05:58:50 PST 2019

Dear Marmamers,

We will be seeking 1 or 2 field assistants for the *Cedar Key Dolphin
Project* 2020 field season this upcoming summer, between June and September
(up to 12 weeks).

*While exact dates for the field season have not been set and we are
currently not accepting formal applications, a few staff members and
students associated with the program will be present at the WMMC in
Barcelona (Dec 9-12). If you will also be in attendance at the conference
and wish to speak to one of our associates about the position, please
email ckdolphinproject at gmail.com <ckdolphinproject at gmail.com> to request a
meeting time.*

The field season will be focused on gathering acoustic recordings,
behavioral data, and drone footage during a specialized foraging tactic as
part of the project’s ongoing research.  Fieldwork will take place in Cedar
Key, Florida, 3 hours north of Tampa and 60 miles west of Gainesville.
Preference
will be given to applicants who can stay for the duration of the season.

The assistant will be expected to work on a boat 6 to 7 days per week, for
up to 10 hours at a time. Typical weather conditions in summer include
95-degree heat, very high humidity, and no breezes. When the weather does
not permit fieldwork, work will consist of photo matching, processing, and
data entry.

This is a *volunteer position*. Assistants will be responsible for
arranging their own transportation to Florida, but housing and food will be
covered while on-site.

Prior field experience with photo-ID and boat handling is preferred, but
not required. Those with no experience should demonstrate their willingness
to learn. Since we will be living and working closely, applicants must work
well in teams and have a positive attitude.

Please visit our website for more information on the project:
www.cedarkeydolphinproject.org

Best wishes,

The Cedar Key Dolphin Project

Cedar Key Dolphin Project