[MARMAM] dwarf sperm whales surface feeding

dinets . dinets at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 10:05:22 PDT 2019

Are there any records of dwarf sperm whales feeding on the surface? I
recently saw them swimming in circles just outside a feeding aggregation of
wedge-tailed shearwaters, strongly suggesting that they were also catching
something (appr. 27.81N 141.78E). I looked through the few books I have and
everything I could find on Kogia in Google Scholar, but didn't find any
mention of surface feeding. Looks like everybody just assumes them to be
obligatory deep divers, even though the list of known prey species on
OBIS-SEAMAP page includes some squid species (i. e. Ilex argentinus) that
are caught on surface by squid fisheries.

Vladimir Dinets
Science & Technology Associate, Okinawa Institute of Science and
Technology, Japan
Research Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
dinets.info

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>