[MARMAM] Final call for 2019 field season volunteers

Morven Summers volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Thu Aug 15 04:44:42 PDT 2019

 Hello all,

*FINAL CALL FOR 2019 FIELD SEASON VOLUNTEERS*

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conducts cetacean survey
expeditions off the west coast of Scotland throughout our field season
(April - October) from aboard our research yacht, Silurian.  More than a
quarter of the world’s whale, dolphin and porpoise species have been
recorded in Hebridean seas, making this an area of global importance for
cetaceans.  However, our seas are under huge pressure; increasingly busy,
noisy and polluted. Scotland’s whales and dolphins exist in a fragile state,
threatened by a range of environmental, climatic and man-made stresses.

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to
contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become
marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; living and working
aboard Silurian, assisting with day-to-day running, as well as working
together as a team to carry out visual and acoustic surveys.  This
live-aboard experience is like no other in the UK!  To find out more about
the research projects we facilitate, please CLICK HERE
<https://hwdt.org/research-projects-1> .

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with mega-fauna and
sea bird identification training provided.  Both acoustic and visual methods
are combined to produce comprehensive data sets. During encounters
photographs are taken of dorsal fins to undertake Photo Identification
analysis.  We also deploy laser photogrammetry equipment to measure the
length of minke whales – helping to determine numbers of young whales,
assess body conditions for parasites such as sea lice, and classify marks
and scars from interactions with marine plastic and fishing gear.

The data collected, and subsequent information produced is essential when
monitoring the distribution, relative abundance and habitat preference of
cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only with coherent data can effective
conservation and management strategies be designed to enable long-term
protection of the amazing species found in our waters.  To read more about
what we have learnt from 15 years of monitoring on the west coast of
Scotland, check out the first part of our Hebridean Marine Mammal Atlas
series by CLICKING HERE.

 Details of remaining 2019 Expedition Surveys:

·         27th Aug – 7th Sept (12 days), rendezvous in Kyle of Lochalsh –
where the Isle of Skye bridge meets the mainland – cost is £942.50 (35%
off!)

·         15th – 23rd Sept (9 days), rendezvous in Kyle of Lochalsh, cost is
£937.50 (25% off!)

·         28th Sept – 4th Oct, rendezvous in Tobermory, cost is £950

·         5th – 11th Oct, rendezvous is in Tobermory, this expedition survey
is scheduled to coincide with the massive Joint Warrior military exercise,
cost is £950

More information on specific surveys will be provided on completion of a
booking form. There is a monetary value attached to participating which
includes accommodation (aboard) and food throughout the duration.  The
income generated allows HWDT to continue this well-established research
programme, you can be assured that without your contribution the research
couldn't be undertaken.

As a volunteer on board Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see
first-hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife Scotland has to offer
including whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will
explore some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles, anchoring
each night in a different secluded bay off one of the many Hebridean
islands, venturing ashore to explore.  The opportunity to gain sailing
experience is also available, although no certificates are issued.

For an idea of a standard survey, please check out our latest expedition
update by CLICKING HERE <https://hwdt.org/news/surveysummary07> .

If you are interested in participating in an expedition survey or have any
questions, please complete a basic booking form <https://hwdt.org/booking> ,
contact me on volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
<mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org> , or call 01688 302620 and chat to
one of the team.

Morven Summers

Media and Communications Officer

Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust

+44 (0)1688 302620  |  <http://www.hwdt.org/> hwdt.org

My standard working week is Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9am – 1pm

 <https://www.facebook.com/HWDT.org/> Facebook |
<https://twitter.com/HWDT_org> Twitter |
<https://www.instagram.com/hwdt_org/> Instagram