[MARMAM] WMMC Workshop: The Diving Brain – Adaptations for Extreme Environments

Stefan Huggenberger st.huggenberger at uni-koeln.de
Wed Aug 14 01:40:24 PDT 2019

Dear MarMamers

Here we are happy to announce the workshop “The Diving Brain –
Adaptations for Extreme Environments” at the World Marine Mammal
Conference on Saturday, December 7th 2019 in Barcelona (Spain).
Registration for the workshop can be completed at the WMMC website.
Further information including a preliminary program are given below.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Barcelona,
Stefan Huggenberger and Bruno Cozzi (workshop organizers)

Workshop description:

During the last two centuries, anatomical and physiological studies
have been the fundamental background and footing of advanced research
on marine mammals. The aims of the workshop are (1st) to give an
overview of actual research on the nervous system of diving mammals,
its nourishment and blood supply through seminars given by leading
experts; and (2nd) to stimulate the discussions between experts and
graduate and PhD students.
This workshop aims at promoting and supporting basic morphological and
physiological research of brain function of marine mammals. This
research is unquestionably international, so that we will have
speakers from many countries around the world. We want to encourage
long-term exchange and research activities on the structure and
function of marine mammals as a solid basis for molecular disciplines.
The goal and ambition of this workshop is to stimulate and coordinate
future research and educational projects.

Preliminary workshop program, Saturday 7. December 2019:

09:00  Luciano Fadiga (University of Ferrara, Italy) – Of men and
whales: diving physiology.
09:30  Sam H. Ridgway (San Diego, U.S.A.) – Cortex and Cerebellum -
long and short divers.
10:00  Hannsjörg Schröder (University of Cologne, Germany) – Comparing
big brains: a brainstem view.

10:30  Coffee break

11:00  Short presentations from participants
	- tba
	- tba
	- tba
	[Stefan Huggenberger & Bruno Cozzi (University of Cologne, Germany,
and University of Padova, Italy) – Uncharted territories in the brains
of marine mammals].

12:00  Round table: Future directions and discussion for summarizing
main scientific problems (“hot topics”) to encourage joint future
activities.
12:40  Conclusion and future venues

13:00  Lunch

14:30  Two parallel afternoon sessions with practical work using
modern teaching equipment such as virtual microscopy and open source
tools for tomography data (participants can move from one session to
the other and back)
     1. Navigating through the brain: macro slide series and MRI scans
of dolphin brains (90’ to 120’)
     2. Neuro-histology and routine histological slides from other
organs (90’ to 120’)

--
Dr. Stefan Huggenberger
Department II of Anatomy (Neuroanatomy)