[MARMAM] Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020 session: Climate Impacts on Marine Species

Erin Meyer-Gutbrod eringutbrod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 21:44:20 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The 2020 Ocean Sciences Meeting <
https://www2.agu.org/ocean-sciences-meeting/> will take place 16-21
February 2020 in San Diego, California.  We are chairing a new session
entitled "Climate Impacts on Marine Species" (PC002) <
https://agu.confex.com/agu/osm20/prelim.cgi/Session/85723>. This session is
an opportunity to exchange ideas about natural and anthropogenic climate
effects on marine species. We welcome studies that focus on a wide variety
of taxa, including fish, marine mammals, seabirds, corals, invertebrates
and plankton. We also welcome research on adopting fishery and/or marine
conservation policies in response to climate impacts. Please consider
submitting an abstract: <
https://agu.confex.com/agu/osm20/pc/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=85723>.
Abstracts are due by 11 September 2019.  More information on the session is
below.

Topic: Past, Present and Future Climate
Title: Climate impacts on marine species
Session ID: PC002

The marine environment is disproportionately impacted by climate change, as
evidenced through increasing water temperature, ocean acidification,
deoxygenation, rising sea levels, shifting circulation patterns and
increased storm activity. We invite presentations that explore the observed
or modeled response of marine organisms to climate variability or climate
change. Recent studies have revealed climate-mediated declines in some
marine species, while others have shown remarkable resilience to climate
change. For example, Arctic sea ice loss threatens species that rely on ice
for habitat such as polar bears and ringed seals, whereas tuna species that
target moderate sea surface temperatures may experience range expansion.
Ecological impacts can derive from changes in physiology, bioenergetics,
abundance, distribution, habitat, community structure, reproduction,
behavior, and phenology. A wide range of marine organisms will be
considered, including invertebrates, fish, reptiles, mammals, and sea
birds. We also invite presentations that explore climate impacts on marine
fisheries in terms of spatial distribution, changing target species and/or
gear type, or simply the challenges faced by fisheries management in a
changing climate. This session will showcase observed and predicted
researchers to contrast climate-driven phenomena across regions and taxa.

Erin Meyer-Gutbrod; University of California, Santa Barbara; elmg at ucsb.edu
Vincent S Saba; NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service;
Vincent.Saba at noaa.gov
Kristin Liisa Laidre; Polar Science Center; klaidre at uw.edu
Barbara Muhling; University of California, Santa Cruz;
barbara.muhling at noaa.gov

--
Erin Meyer-Gutbrod, Ph.D.
http://meyer-gutbrod.weebly.com/