[MARMAM] Request for participation in a survey of photo-ID methods for matching dorsal fins

Reny Tyson Moore rtysonmoore at mote.org
Thu Aug 1 06:37:54 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to participate in our survey of the methods used to conduct
matching of dorsal fin images for photo-identification studies. We are
interested in compiling information on the different methods used, and the
pros and cons associated with each of these methods. Recently, several
automated algorithms have been developed to identify cetacean dorsal fins
and improve the efficiency of the matching process. However, there has been
little discussion among users regarding the efficacy or accuracy of these
systems. With your help, we hope to start this discussion, and to develop
best practices for moving forward with automated dorsal fin matching
systems in our community. The survey can be completed here:

https://forms.gle/D1NQ1NFXQMxfeVRAA
We will present the results of this survey during a workshop we are
hosting, “Rise of the machines - Application of automated systems for
matching dolphin dorsal fins: current status and future directions” at the
World Marine Mammal Conference in Barcelona. The full-day workshop will be
held on Sunday December 8. Information about the workshop can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/y2vrb2c4
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://tinyurl.com/y2vrb2c4&sa=D&ust=1564669081391000&usg=AFQjCNGd4wx8BYT0fPEgVgS1cGbsAxZqaA>
The focus of the workshop is to bring together photo-ID researchers and
algorithm developers to discuss best practices for using fin recognition
technology, and to assess whether a single ‘standard’ system can be
developed for automated dorsal fin photo-ID.

We hope that you will participate in our survey! We request that you
complete it by 11:59 EST on 15 August 2019.

The Workshop Organizers,
Reny Tyson Moore (Chicago Zoological Society’s Sarasota Dolphin Research
Program, Sarasota, FL USA)
rtysonmoore at mote.org <rtyson at mote.org>

Kim Urian (Duke University Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, NC USA)
kim.urian at gmail.com

--
Reny Tyson Moore, PhD
Staff Scientist